Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help - Careless mistake

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help - Careless mistake

HI all,

Hoping someone can help me out here. My wife turned on the pump (Hayward 1.5HP 2 weeks old) while the valve between the skimmer and pump was closed. It ran this way for a while until I got home happened to go to the pump and notice. The pump then ran fine yesterday and no issues when I turned it off last night.

I know this is very very bad for the pump - any ideas what I should specifically look for? could it cause electrical issues with the pump? GFI tripping? just seize up?

Please help
    26x15x52 AG
    Hayward DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Lynchburg VA

Re: Need Help - Careless mistake

Welcome to TFP! I would think the main concern would be the motor overheating and seizing up or damage to the impellers/seals. I did something similar several years ago when I had a pool company come out and close my pool down and I had my pump on a timer. They left after closing everything down, and the timer turned my pump on for several hours. I didn't seem to hurt my pump at all. I would think as long as the pump is running now and not making any sty range noises you should be OK.....but that is just a guess. I am sure others will chime in with more concrete advice.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

I think if it is running, you are good for now. Might have shortened its life some though.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

You should be fine. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not leaking, you could have damaged the ceramic seal which is easily replaced.