Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rainwater filled pool and turned it brown

1. Back To Top    #1

Rainwater filled pool and turned it brown

So this house we've been in for a year is now seeing the worst rain we've ever had since we moved in. I live in Magnolia, TX (77355) so you can see we're getting a LOT of rain.

We have finally landscaped the pool area, but today water from my neighbors yard is flowing down across my yard and into the pool. It looks as if water tends to flow from one back yard to another until it reaches a drainage ditch.

Right now, my pool is full to the top of the deck and rain water is flowing over the yard, across the pool, and over the other side. Will this hurt the pool in any way? Is it normal for pools to take on a lot of debris and **** when it's flooding like this?

Thanks guys, hope everyone who is on the forums and in this area are doing okay!

-Tom
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rainwater filled pool and turned it brown

It should cause any problems other than the mess.

Your pool should have been installed so it was higher than the surrounding ground. Typically 4" is a sort of standard, meaning you'd have to have 4" of water in the yard before it would flow into the pool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

It will mess up your chemistry a little, especially using up chlorine. And you'll load up your filter big time when you vacuum it all out. On the plus side, if you have high CH, rainwater flooding will lower it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I feel for you twoolley, seems like the rain has been non stop last few days.
    As soon as it lets up I need to go drain some water.

You have got to love Richards posts, always looks to see the upside of rain
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.
    Full Sun, Well Water, Borates at approx. 50
    TFTestKit-100--The Pool Calculator--Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Richard is always an optimist! :P

The rain is crazy... it's still going strong. How is it out in New Caney? I lived in Conroe my whole life and I know ya'll are getting hit really hard out there, and it's also a low area.

The pool is built above one side of the yard, but my house is on a hill so building it higher than surrounding land would have been impossible, because my neighbors yard is higher than mine. My yard is higher than my neighbors to the left, and his is higher than his neighbors to the left. So when it rains we have water flow through every back yard til it gets to the street. There are depressions between each home that helps to divert it to the street, but it doesn't look like they carried it all the way to the back in my case, it's mostly for the front yard.

I am thinking I could help this problem by extending the depression between my house and my right neighbor to divert water to the street. Also, can't I add a decorative border, barrier, something around the outside edge of the pool to raise the lip maybe .25 or .5 inches above the surrounding patio? Right now, the patio just slopes directly into the pool so water on the patio wants to be in the pool.

Thanks for the discussions, you guys are great
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh, I also noticed that the drain they put on the inside of the pool DOESN'T GO ANYWHERE!!!!!!!

Will have to fix that when the rain stops too.
    -Tom

7. Back To Top    #7

I just check my rain gauge, so far today I have 2.90" and still raining. Yesterday had 1.55.
    18' x 42" Intex (4786 Gal @ 80% capacity) Intex 8110 SWCG, 2000 GPH cartridge filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by twoolley
    Oh, I also noticed that the drain they put on the inside of the pool DOESN'T GO ANYWHERE!!!!!!!
    Pictures?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll take some this evening when I get home. I'm at work right now.
    -Tom

10. Back To Top    #10

Rainwater filled pool and turned it brown

None of this sounds good especially the patio draining towards the pool. Did you have this pool installed? What kind of drain doesn't go anywhere? Is it for water in the pool or the surrounding landscaping?

You really need to solve this for the long term. I would say no matter how much it rains you should never get runoff in a pool.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

11. Back To Top    #11

Too bad you can't send some of that rain north to southern MN. We are so dry.
    Mona SE MN
    24' round 48" high AG
    Meteor Sand Filter
    1.5 HP pump

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought the house with the pool.

The drain that doesn't drain is the one inside the pool on the wall about level with the middle of the skimmers.
    -Tom

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by twoolley
    I am thinking I could help this problem by extending the depression between my house and my right neighbor to divert water to the street. Also, can't I add a decorative border, barrier, something around the outside edge of the pool to raise the lip maybe .25 or .5 inches above the surrounding patio? Right now, the patio just slopes directly into the pool so water on the patio wants to be in the pool.
    I'd be worried that any kind of abrubt change would pose a trip hazard. If you were able to do something more gradual it might be better. Alternately putting a wide trench drain with a slotted cover between the patio and the pool and running this off into a french drain elsewhere in the yard might be better. Something like this in the direction of the flow from the neighbors also might be a good idea or just extending the "ditch" and adding some rocks maybe to keep erosion under control.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

With the solid rain here for the last week our pool has been overflowing too. My salt went from 3000 ppm to 2600 ppm because of all the rain. When it finally quits I will just have to add more salt and rebalance everything. Right now, there is nothing you can do until it quits raining. Big change from a year ago.
    28,000 gallon salt water pool
    DE Filter
    Inground plaster construction
    1-1/4 hp pump with 1hp booster pump

15. Back To Top    #15

I agree with you, ouachita. It seems like this has to have been a problem since the pool was installed years ago.

I have already sent emails through angies list for 3 lawn drainage companies to come out and quote the job. I'll keep you all updated!
    -Tom

16. Back To Top    #16

Wow, I see that area has gotten 13" in some places. That's a lot of water for a good drainage system.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by George N
    Wow, I see that area has gotten 13" in some places. That's a lot of water for a good drainage system.
    Yes and when you have runoff from adjoining properties it just compounds the problem.

Where are you in New Caney neighbor? We live in Northcrest Ranch.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm in the Peach Creek Forest subdivision, its next to Roman Forest.