DE Filter Question

I'm currently in the process of my AGP build. I have a Pentair 24" sand filter with a whole new lateral system and a 1 year old 1.5hp Hayward pump. I just finished cleaning the sand filter components as they were full of sand.

I see a brand new Hayward DE filter setup with a 1hp Hayward pump for sale on CL for $300. Would I be better off with the DE filter? The DE filter model is a Hayward Perplex EC - 40 DE. I have a 27' pool, 48" deep, roughly 17,150 gallons. I know the pump would save considerable electricity over the 1.5hp even though I have to run it longer. Would this be an upgrade worth purchasing or is this not really worth the money?

All thoughts are appreciated.

Filter choice is mostly personal preference.

If you get a whole lot of chunks or dog hair in your pool, a cartridge or sand filter is a good choice. If you get massive amounts of fine dust or pollen, a DE filter might be a better choice than sand.

Cartridge filters use much less water to clean, as they don't get backflushed. So if you're on a well or have no good place to send the backwash water, it might be better for you.

If your current filter works right, after you fix it, why switch? Look at the pictures on craigslist, see if you can read the label on the pump motor. Horsepower and service factor mean nothing - you want to compare apples to apples. See if it shows watts or amps, and compare that to your current setup.

Richard, I see your point. I can easily calculate the electrical I'm going to use. I need to get the info off the pump on CL. There is not a picture of the pump stats on the ad. I haven't even tried the sand filter yet. I'm almost ready to put the wall up and the filter will follow shortly. I appreciate the advice on this and I will check the benefits. I do have a lot of pollen here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.