FC holding overnight, going to zero during day

I've recently been through the shocking process and passing the OCLT for the past couple days. The pool looks great, finally.

However, I should be past the shocking process now, and am targeting FC of 4 since my CYA is at 30. I can get this and hold it overnight just fine.

However, when I come home from work two days in a row now, FC is at 0. I live in the central valley of CA which is very hot and has a lot of direct sunlight. The pool is in direct sun basically all day. It's been over 100 deg F the last couple days.

Is the prescription to raise my CYA to help hold FC up during the day?

You should be targeting the maximum FC for your CYA level of 30, which I think is closer to 7ppm. (check pool calculator). The reason you're losing all the chlorine, is that you don't have enough in there to lose it and still have the minimum (3ppm).

So... do this instead:

Dose to the maximum at night (7ppm). Check in the AM that it's still 7ppm. At the end of the day, check again. It should be above 3ppm. Dose again back to 7ppm. Rinse and repeat... forever :~}

That should solve your loss issues.

edit: you won't have to test every evening and morning after a while. Only at night, and only if you think you need to. The first time though, test to be sure it's all as it should be for a maximum nightly dosing regimen.

What he said ^

I'd raise CYA, too. You can add it as stabilizer, dichlor "shock" or trichlor pucks. Just be careful how much of the powders or pucks you buy, so you don't overdose the CYA. One 8 oz. puck will jack CYA almost 2 ppm in your pool. So the huge economy size pail is too many pucks.

Alright, I'll try going up to 7 and see if that leaves me anything at the end of the day.

I'll also use some dichlor that I have laying around from my "pool store advice" days and see if I can get my CYA up to 40-50 range.

Thanks again!

I'm already eyeing that "automation" forum...lol.

Remember to raise your high nightly target once you get the CYA raised. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find chlorine in your pool tomorrow evening after doing this. It's worked well for me going on three seasons now. If you're losing more than 4ppm per day after raising your nightly to 7ppm, do 7.5 and see where it falls to the next evening. The general rule is ~50% loss per day, so I think you'll see a loss closer to 3.5 after you change this leaving you well above minimum.

Raising CYA to 40 will likely help. Try 40 for a week or so before you bump up to 50 just to be sure you need more.

Ditto on the 50% loss..here in kc in order for me to have a 5fc at the end of the day, I have to bring it up to 11 at night so that the end of the next day it is around 5 again....I think im running around 40cya...These HOT summer days really zaps the fc during the day

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frogabog said:
If you're losing more than 4ppm per day after raising your nightly to 7ppm, do 7.5 and see where it falls to the next evening. The general rule is ~50% loss per day, so I think you'll see a loss closer to 3.5 after you change this leaving you well above minimum.

Pretty darn close.

I raised it to 7 last night, it was about 3 when I got home today.

Problem solved. Getting the hang of this...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.