This is my first post here. I'm new to being a pool owner. Vinyl Pool, Built in 1999. 20,000 gallons I believe. 16 x 32 and seems to be about 8 feet in the deep and 3-4 feet in the shallow end. My wife and I bought a house the end of last summer here in Massachusetts. I was working nights and didn't have time to learn the pool, so I paid pool guys reccomended by the previous owner to close it for us in Early September.
During the winter, the cover fell in the pool. I paid the same pool gguys to open it in May. They said the cover was too small, and I noticed that some of the water bags holding it on deflated. They dumped 25 gallons of liquid shock and 5 gallons of an algaecide (Not sure which one). All in all I think they had done a good job opening and closing except for two things. 1. $350 a visit = way too much money. 2. They hooked the chorinator on backwards.
I was looking in the Chlorinator once a week marveling on how well the pucks were doing and how slow they were dissolving. Well, the pool turned green, I went through a lot of Shocking (Mostly Liquid, Some Calcium Hypochlorite). Now it is Crystal Clear. I also hooked the chlorinator up correctly.
I'm left with some brown sediment that I think is Mustard Algae. I've vaccumed it, cleand the cartridge filter and then shocked with 25 gallons of liquid bleach . It seemed to reduce it a bit, but I still have sediment left behind. Brush it, it turns into a brown cloud. An hour or so later, it is back.
I've done some research, bought a Taylor TF-100 and really hope you guys can help. My wife is ticked with all the time I'm spent out at the pool, we have a 4 month old, and I've been missing out on time with her.
Free Chlorine = 5
CC = .5 or 0, not sure
Alkalinity = 140-160, not sure about reading
PH = 7.5
Hardness is about 125 according to Insta Test 6 Test Strips, havent had time to do Taylor for this.
Cyanuric Acid is at or near 0
Interestingly enough, my test strips say my free and Total Chlorine is .5 ppm, significantly less then the Taylor.
I attached 3 pictures. Note the yellow stain on the crease of the liner in the second picture. The 3rd pic is the stairs.
I'm giving the whole story to show how naive I was to being originally. Now Just need some advice what to do. Is this Mustard Algae? How much chlorine should I really be adding to shock my pool? How much should it need a week to stay normal operating?