1. Back To Top    #1

TF test kit in--1st test results

Ok, just got in my TF test kit and here are my #s:
    CYA-45
    FC-15.5
    CC-2
    TC-17.5
    TA-200

Water still cloudy light blue tint...can now see the bottom. Running the pump/filter 24/7...

I'm assuming the next step is to perform the overnite test...correct? Anything else??
    16 x 48 Intex Ultra; Intex 1600 sand filter/pump;
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF test kit in--1st test results

Quote Originally Posted by rickyjanet
    Ok, just got in my TF test kit and here are my #s:
    CYA-45
    FC-15.5
    CC-2
    TC-17.5
    TA-200

Water still cloudy light blue tint...can now see the bottom. Running the pump/filter 24/7...

I'm assuming the next step is to perform the overnite test...correct? Anything else??
    Nope. Keep it at shock level until it's clear. And CC is below .5. And then do the overnight loss test.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oops,forgot one--

PH is 7.5
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

4. Back To Top    #4

Seems like the TA is too high. Do I need to do anything for that now or just wait until the water is clear? Also, after checking this site, looks like I would need to add a bit more bleach for raise the shock level to about 18--right? Or just wait until after my test in the morning?
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

5. Back To Top    #5

Seems like the TA is too high. Do I need to do anything for that now or just wait until the water is clear?
    Yep, you can work on the TA after everything else is done.

Also, after checking this site, looks like I would need to add a bit more bleach for raise the shock level to about 18--right? Or just wait until after my test in the morning?
    Yep, shock level about 18ish. Right.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: TF test kit in--1st test results--OVER THE HURDLE!!!

WAHOO!! results from my overnight test:

FC - 15 (down from 15.5)
    PH - 7.5 (same)
    CC - 1 (down from 1)
    TC - 16 (down 1.5

So...since my FC only went down 0.5, algae is dead--nothing in the pool--correct?

brushed sides & bottom of pool yest. evening and water still cloudy this morning (from what I could see early this a.m.--its been raining for days and no sun). Next step???
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: TF test kit in--1st test results--OVER THE HURDLE!!!

WAHOO!! results from my overnight test:

FC - 15 (down from 15.5)
    PH - 7.5 (same)
    CC - 1 (down from 1)
    TC - 16 (down 1.5

So...since my FC only went down 0.5, algae is dead--nothing in the pool--correct?

brushed sides & bottom of pool yest. evening and water still cloudy this morning (from what I could see early this a.m.--its been raining for days and no sun). Next step???
    Open a bottle of POP. Pool Owner Patience.

My answer remains the same. Keep it at shock level until it's clear. You're soooo close, don't back off and let it come back. Now would also be a good time to toss any tools and toys in the pool to get any algae spores on them killed off.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

OK--got my can opener at hand!! Great advice about putting in tools/toys while the chlorine is high...will do this evening...

I've read the threads about adding the 20 mule team borax/acid and want to to that....when would be a good time.. Should I wait until my water clears up?

One more question (& hopefully I can word it to where it makes sense)---on the return "eye" (water coming into the pool), should this be angled toward the middle or up or is there a better placement for this. Should it make the flow break the surface? I don't recall seeing anything regarding this and does it make a difference?
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I've read the threads about adding the 20 mule team borax/acid and want to to that....when would be a good time.. Should I wait until my water clears up?
    Uh-oh, another bottle of POP! The addition of borates should be considered as an option and not essential to proper pool water management.

Get your pool crystal clear and then maintain it that way for a week or more. That'll let you learn the "rhythm" of your pool, give you some practice at testing and observing, etc. and then decide if you want to add borates.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Got it!! Hopefully, I'll get that "sparkling" water without the borates.

Thanks to all for the help (and my TF test kit!).
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

11. Back To Top    #11

One more question (& hopefully I can word it to where it makes sense)---on the return "eye" (water coming into the pool), should this be angled toward the middle or up or is there a better placement for this. Should it make the flow break the surface? I don't recall seeing anything regarding this and does it make a difference?
    TF50 test kit
    Crosby, Tx

12. Back To Top    #12

I have a 21 round and I tend to point mine to the right (away from the skimmer 4 feet left of the return) and just a little towards the surface but not really disturbing it much. I get a little rotation like that and if the floaties are out of the pool, the skimmer gets all the junk off the surface. Otherwise I end up with the floaties in front of the skimmer and all the crepe Myrtle blooms and dead bees on the lower edges of the floaties.

Aquabug gets the floor duty.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100