Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should The Water Stop Flowing After Backflushing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should The Water Stop Flowing After Backflushing?

When I got home today water was running out of the top of the skimmer after some heavy rains today. I backflushed for several minutes to get the water out of the pool. When I turned the pump off after backflushing and rinsing I noticed the water was still flowing out of the waste line and it appeared to be coming from the pool - I could see it moving in the skimmer. I've never paid much attention when backflushing before this. Is this normal? The water did not stop flowing until I moved the handle on the filter valve back to the normal filter setting.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should The Water Stop Flowing After Backflushing?

That will happen when the backwash hose outlet is below pool level. Always remember to turn the valve back to filter when you are finished backwashing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My spider gear on mine is getting where it want shut off.So when I switch my selector I alway's pull up on valve selector&that way it will stop the water flowing out.But,sometime's you may get some trash in there.So while you have it on filter&water coming out.Just push down on lever to flush it out.Most of the time it will stop leaking.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I wasn't sure if this was normal or not. I tried to find a schematic or cut-away of a valve but couldn't find one. I'd like to know what the internals look like on the Hayward valves at least.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer