Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae attack!

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae attack!

I just came home and was only gone for about a week and I have been attacked.

I am overwhelmed and do not have a whole lot of money and am afraid I have ruined my pool. It is a light green inside mostly from the walls I believe. The water itself is not so green.

Ph- 6.8
    Cl- 1-2
    Alkalinity- 50
    Hardness- 60.

My test kit has nothing else. I really want to get at this as fast as I can I hope someone can help me out. Thank to anyone ahead of time for any and all help I get. Thank you.
    1779 Gallons
    Type A Filter
    Above Ground
    Intex PVC
    110-120 volt 530 Gallons p/h Model 603

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Algae attack!

Hello. You should read the article about 'How to Shock Your Pool' in Pool School (link in top right or my signature box). Then, if possible, get a better test kit. You need one that has the FAS-DPD test for chlorine..so you can accurately measure high levels of FC.

Then you need to go though the shocking process to clean your pool. I do NOT mean use the product called 'shock'...I mean follow the steps from pool school.

This process with be the cheapest, fastest, easiest way get your pool sparkling again.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I have started shocking the pool as well as added the stabilizer in the sock to the skimmer. So now I just need to get in and scrub? Do I have to use the expensive scrubber or what's a good alternative. I just literally have very little money to put into this right now. I got home changed the filter skimmed the pool tested with what kit I have. Added the bleach as well as the stabilizer/conditioner. I just feel so bad for my kids.
    1779 Gallons
    Type A Filter
    Above Ground
    Intex PVC

4. Back To Top    #4

Wait. It is a <2000 gallon pool? Just drain it, clean it with bleach/water and refill. That is probably the cheapest fastest fix (sorry to disagree with Blake on this ... not sure he saw the pool size )

Then read this and the rest of Pool School:
    pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

A good test kit would help though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok so drain as much as possible then scrub with bleach water and just start all over. Any suggestions on how to get the minimal water out of the pool. U know when it gets past the drain plug. Sorry I'm still so new and am so mad that I let this happen. I just emptied and refilled because of rip. ggrrrr ok thanks again all for ur help.
    1779 Gallons
    Type A Filter
    Above Ground
    Intex PVC

6. Back To Top    #6

Also what can I use to scrub pool? Do I need to go and buy a fancy expensive scrubber?
    1779 Gallons
    Type A Filter
    Above Ground
    Intex PVC

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't know what the pool looks like so not sure how to recommend getting the remaining water out. If it is not much, I would not worry about it. When you refill, get some CYA in and boost your FC up to shock value to take care of anything remaining in the water. May want to do the shock process anyway to confirm everything in the hoses, filter, is dead ... but it should go very fast if 90+% of the pool is drained and cleaned.

Honestly, I am not sure what strength of bleach/water ratio you should use or what to use to scrub (I would think any nylon brush would work)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Any kind of plastic scrub brush will work. The pool brushes are nice because they're two feet wide and fit on a pole so you can brush the bottom without getting in the water.

But for 2000 gallons, it's probably cheaper to drain it than to treat it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!