Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: not sure what the problem is

1. Back To Top    #1

not sure what the problem is

my pool keeps turning sligtly green

We have a 24' round ag pool with a 54" wall. We use a hayward 40 sq ft cartridge filter.

My pool test results are
    cya- 41
    tc 4.5
    fc 3.2
    ph 7.4
    ta 118
    hardness 237

the pool store is recommending I add ph decreaser ( Imnot sure why becasue the ph and alk are fine.
    Also that I shock with 5 lbs

They are showing a quat reading of 0 and want me to add algecide to bring that up to a 4. Still dont know what that means.

Our pool has been slightly cloudy all season long.

so what do you suggest.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Phoenix, AZ

Re: not sure what the problem is

Sounds like you need to shock your pool. And I don't mean using a product called shock..I mean elevating your FC to shock level (16 for your CYA) and keeping it there until you pass all three tests. The best place to start is reading 'How to Shock your Pool' in Pool School. Also, the shocking process will really only be possible if you get your own (good) test kit. The two that come highly recommended here are the TF-100 and the Taylor K-2006.

Do not listen to those recommendations from the pool store. Neither of those suggestions will help your pool.

PS welcome to TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: not sure what the problem is

A good test kit is the first place to start!

If those results are to be believed, you have greater than 1 ppm CC and that in itself is an indication that you need to perform the shock process.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit