Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward customer

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9

    Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward customer

    My wife and I just spent several 100 degree plus days, turning our green swamp back into a blue oasis, thanks to the BBB method, advice found throughout these forums, and of course our trusty TF100. Part of this transition involved buying four new filter cartridges ($200), for our Hayward C3000 filter. Opening it up, to take the dirty old ones out, I noticed one of the nuts (DEX2400JN) seized up a bit. I soaked it in WD40, and was able to get it off without too much hassle, but it sounded like I was killing a goose. It wasn't too bad, getting it tightened back down, once I cleaned the filter out and put the new filters in. But, when it came time to clean the new filters, the clamp assembly (DEX2400J) popped, and shot the nut, washers and spring off the "dying goose" side of the assembly, flying. The bolt that is t-shaped had torn through the brass nut. Here's the part where I become a newly disgruntled Hayward customer.

    I called around, looking for replacement parts for the clamp assembly (DEX2400J), and learned that it was discontinued. Fair enough, although our pool (and filter) is only about twelve years old. Products change, get improved, and fade out. But, surely Hayward would offer some new, improved, and more expensive part to replace the bolt and nut...right? Nope. Okay, well surely Hayward would offer a new, improved and more expensive replacement for the whole clamp assembly, right? Nope. Apparently Hayward is of the mindset that the proper procedure for repairing a broken bolt and nut is to buy a brand new $800 cartridge filter. Well, I disagree. This is beyond ridiculous. If I find the whole clamp assembly online, it looks like it will be around $300, but so far I haven't had any luck even with that.

    So now that my rant is out of the way. And, sorry for all that, btw. Does anyone know of a source for replacements for these two parts? Searching the forums, I found this post, where RedHook was in my same position. He posted an image, which I am reposting here, of the exact parts I need to replace.



    I'm leaving town this evening, for three nights, so our pool will surely start turning green again. When I get back, if I can't find a replacement, I'm going to see if a buddy who is more experienced with welding, can help me come up with a replacement.
    BBB | TF100 Test Kit
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, Polaris 280, Hayward C3000 filter, Hayward Heater (not sure of model number)

  2. #2
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    23,170

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    No help with the parts.

    Am I correct that since it is a cartridge filter you do not have a multi-valve that would allow you to keep the water circulating?

    I have a Hayward DE filter that looks like a similar clamp. One thing I recommend is when you are putting the clamp back on, to tighten the nut snug (not hard) and then tap around the clamp with a rubber mallet to seat it. Then tighten the nut a bit more and then use the mallet ... repeat. If you just try to use the nut to tighten it down you will put WAY too much stress on the nut and bolt. With the mallet, I hardly have to use any force on the nut to get the spring properly seated.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. #3
    Senior Member UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Could you toss in some 3" pucks in a floater and rig some type of recirculation from suction to return bypassing the filter? Worst case when you return and fix things you'll have to drain a little to bring the CYA down but you won't be looking at crazy green...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Am I correct that since it is a cartridge filter you do not have a multi-valve that would allow you to keep the water circulating?
    Yeah, I'm not sure what a multi-valve is, so pretty sure I don't have one.

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I have a Hayward DE filter that looks like a similar clamp. One thing I recommend is when you are putting the clamp back on, to tighten the nut snug (not hard) and then tap around the clamp with a rubber mallet to seat it. Then tighten the nut a bit more and then use the mallet ... repeat. If you just try to use the nut to tighten it down you will put WAY too much stress on the nut and bolt. With the mallet, I hardly have to use any force on the nut to get the spring properly seated.
    Thanks for that advice. Good idea!

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Could you toss in some 3" pucks in a floater and rig some type of recirculation from suction to return bypassing the filter? Worst case when you return and fix things you'll have to drain a little to bring the CYA down but you won't be looking at crazy green...
    I could stand to raise the CYA a bit, anyhow. Another good suggestion. I had thought of just super shocking it, but I worried about doing that without any recirculation. I'm in a rush to get down to the coast, to watch my son compete in a couple sailing races (I feel too pinky up, when I say "regatta"), so I'm afraid I won't be able to rig anything to bypass the filtration.
    BBB | TF100 Test Kit
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, Polaris 280, Hayward C3000 filter, Hayward Heater (not sure of model number)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    605

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    unfortunatly I can not help you with the parts you need but, I can offer some advice when dealing with sticky, stubborn threaded components. first of all, WD-40 is one of the worst lubricants known to man. The basic makup of this product is about 90% kerosene and 10% light oil. These are rough numbers as there are also perfumes and some other minor ingredients. If you use this as a penetrating oil the best thing to do is after applying it you should add a couple of drops of light motor oil and let that soak in. The oil will lubricate the threads and you won't be killing any geese. By the way, the sound you heard is the clasic sound of metal surfaces galling as they rub against one another. This friction will destroy threads on fasteners and brass threads, like on your fasteners, are very fragile to start.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Quote Originally Posted by danpik
    unfortunatly I can not help you with the parts you need but, I can offer some advice when dealing with sticky, stubborn threaded components. first of all, WD-40 is one of the worst lubricants known to man. The basic makup of this product is about 90% kerosene and 10% light oil. These are rough numbers as there are also perfumes and some other minor ingredients. If you use this as a penetrating oil the best thing to do is after applying it you should add a couple of drops of light motor oil and let that soak in. The oil will lubricate the threads and you won't be killing any geese. By the way, the sound you heard is the clasic sound of metal surfaces galling as they rub against one another. This friction will destroy threads on fasteners and brass threads, like on your fasteners, are very fragile to start.
    I appreciate the note on WD-40. Yeah, I really wish Hayward didn't make those sleeve nuts out of brass.

    We are back in town today, and I still haven't found a proper solution. Got a lot of catching up to do, at work, but I'm going to find some time to call a couple local machine shops, and see if they can make me a replacement. I have absolutely no idea what machine shops charge for this sort of thing, though.
    BBB | TF100 Test Kit
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, Polaris 280, Hayward C3000 filter, Hayward Heater (not sure of model number)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    605

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Could you post a picture of how it should look installed on the filter/pump? I may be able to come up with a solution if I can see what you are up against.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Quote Originally Posted by danpik
    Could you post a picture of how it should look installed on the filter/pump? I may be able to come up with a solution if I can see what you are up against.
    I found this image of the assembly together. I am at work, so I can't take a picture of it, but this should give you a good idea of how it functions. The whole assembly brings the lip of the top of the filter snug down, on top of the lip of the base of the filter, with an o-ring between. Here is an exploded diagram of the filter assembly.
    BBB | TF100 Test Kit
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, Polaris 280, Hayward C3000 filter, Hayward Heater (not sure of model number)

  9. #9
    Senior Member Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    10,313

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    I think I would have gone to some Mom-n-Pop hardware store with the pieces. A long chunk of all-thread and some sort of barrel nut would substitute.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I think I would have gone to some Mom-n-Pop hardware store with the pieces. A long chunk of all-thread and some sort of barrel nut would substitute.
    Thanks Richard320, also something I will try! I'm not familiar with "all-thread", but I imagine it's just the threaded portion of a bolt, without a head?
    BBB | TF100 Test Kit
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, Polaris 280, Hayward C3000 filter, Hayward Heater (not sure of model number)

  11. #11
    Senior Member UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Quote Originally Posted by hbaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I think I would have gone to some Mom-n-Pop hardware store with the pieces. A long chunk of all-thread and some sort of barrel nut would substitute.
    Thanks Richard320, also something I will try! I'm not familiar with "all-thread", but I imagine it's just the threaded portion of a bolt, without a head?
    Correct...

    All Thread:


    Barrell Nut:
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Hmmm, yeah that could do the trick. Then just a nut on the end, to tighten it up. Thanks for this! Tonight, I hope to piece this all together, and get my pool back! It really didn't go that green. Just some leaves, and debris that needs to be vacuumed out, and then a few days of super shocking, should get things back in order (I hope). Should I test the water now, or wait until I can get some circulation going?
    BBB | TF100 Test Kit
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, Polaris 280, Hayward C3000 filter, Hayward Heater (not sure of model number)

  13. #13
    Senior Member UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Quote Originally Posted by hbaker
    Hmmm, yeah that could do the trick. Then just a nut on the end, to tighten it up. Thanks for this! Tonight, I hope to piece this all together, and get my pool back! It really didn't go that green. Just some leaves, and debris that needs to be vacuumed out, and then a few days of super shocking, should get things back in order (I hope). Should I test the water now, or wait until I can get some circulation going?
    I have no idea - but if it were me I'd add chlorine and brush it - which will mix up the water quite a bit if you do it with any gusto...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    605

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    well, they beat me to it. I would suggest the same thing. If you have a true old time hardware store in town they can probably help you solve this
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Quote Originally Posted by danpik
    well, they beat me to it. I would suggest the same thing. If you have a true old time hardware store in town they can probably help you solve this
    That is going to be the hard part. There is an ACE True Value store, and that is about the closest thing to an old time hardware store, I can think of, in Dallas.
    BBB | TF100 Test Kit
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, Polaris 280, Hayward C3000 filter, Hayward Heater (not sure of model number)

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Montville NJ
    Posts
    248

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Quote Originally Posted by hbaker
    Quote Originally Posted by danpik
    well, they beat me to it. I would suggest the same thing. If you have a true old time hardware store in town they can probably help you solve this
    That is going to be the hard part. There is an ACE True Value store, and that is about the closest thing to an old time hardware store, I can think of, in Dallas.
    Home Depot will have those parts - just good luck finding somone who can help you locate them. They will be in the hardware section, in the slide out bins.

    They do carry everything from rubber stoppers, to cotter pins, to keyway keys. Just very few people in the store have any idea what is in that asile.

    Sears Hardware (if those exist in your area) also has a suprisingly good selection of hardware items.

    -dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working
    Zodiac Wahoo

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Thanks Dave! ACE closes before I can get home, as does Elliott's, so I will probably end up at either Home Depot, or Lowes, tonight.
    BBB | TF100 Test Kit
    15,000 gallon gunite pool, Polaris 280, Hayward C3000 filter, Hayward Heater (not sure of model number)

  18. #18
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    23,170

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Remember the mallet trick when you go to put this contraption together to help get you snug
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  19. #19
    Senior Member UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,595

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Remember the mallet trick when you go to put this contraption together to help get you snug
    What trick is that? Still new to this and I have a similar filter.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  20. #20
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    23,170

    Re: Stripped Hayward Nut / Newly Disgruntled Hayward custome

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Remember the mallet trick when you go to put this contraption together to help get you snug
    What trick is that? Still new to this and I have a similar filter.
    See my first post in this thread.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •