Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New booster pump or new cleaner?

1. Back To Top    #1

New booster pump or new cleaner?

My booster pump is on its last leg, making an awful noise on startup sounds like bearings are going out. Question: do I buy a new booster pump or should I switch to the Polaris 360 that doesn't use a booster pump? Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks
    25,000 gallon saltwater pool with raised spa, Hayward de filter 6020, 2 hp pump, aqualogic PS-8 Controls - Dallas, TX

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New booster pump or new cleaner?

If you have been happy (you don't say from what you would be switching), fix the booster pump and continue to march!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Our pool is about 6 years old and it seems like everything is going out. I just thought if we eliminate the booster pump that's one less piece of equipment to replace. I don't know anything about the type of cleaner that operates without the pump. We currently have the booster pump cleaner, it works ok.
    25,000 gallon saltwater pool with raised spa, Hayward de filter 6020, 2 hp pump, aqualogic PS-8 Controls - Dallas, TX

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Typically, a pressure side cleaner with a booster pump will outperform the equivalent cleaner without a booster. ie, a Polaris 380 with booster will definitely work better than a 360.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If you take pictures of your pump, we can identify the make and model for you. How does your current cleaner do in terms of picking up debris? How often do you use it? Do you have lots of trees around your pool?