New from NC

Jul 5, 2012
Newton NC
Hi all!
I am a long time lurker. I have been a pool owner since 1990. Old house came with pool and new house we built pool. Current pool is 12 years old with a gas heater. That means we have a light dusting of copper on the liner & steps. Tried to treat it with Jack's Copper & Purple Stuff. Unfortunately, our temps were in triple digits during that time so it was a losing battle. We installed a bypass valve & cut flow to the heater after water is warmed. No one sees the staining but me, but the vacuum pole seems to only fit my hands as well.

The reason I am no longer lurking is my old test kit needed to be tossed due to age & I have just ordered a Taylor TF100. I'm a little nervous getting used to a new kit but I feel sure it will be fine. I start every season with new strips & reagents.

I just got a Taylor K-1766 to test my salt as there was always a 600-1200ppm difference in the strips and my SWG. The kit says my salt is 4000 & my box reads 3600. No HI salt lights. I guess this is like flipping thru the weather channels until you find one with the forecast you like best. Jack said the copper treatment would loosen salt from the liner so my salt would go up. Any other opinions welcome. I started the year with 1500 in salt & have added 3 bags.

We use the bungee safety cover & I believe due to its age, the cover pump pulls 1-2' water out of the pool during the winter, hence the loss in salt over the winter. We must close the pool due to the many trees.

Thanks for all the great info posted & I may be looking for help when the new test kit arrives.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Good choice on the kit (note is it not "really" a Taylor kit, although uses their reagents). I think you will find this kit WAY more reliable than test strips.

As long as the SWG is happy and not reading too low, let it generate and be happy. Note that if the SWG starts to read the salt lower and lower than your test, that is a sign that the cell is starting to go bad. They generally seem to last 3-5 years before needing to be replaced.