need some help with purchasing correct size cartridge filter

Jun 27, 2012
connecticut
Hi Guys !

Im almost ready to put my new pool in , and just seeking for an opinion on the filter size and pump hp for my 24'x54" round about 17k gal
Im going to go with the cartridge filter + pump + compupool swg cpsc 46

The questions are what sqft cartridge would be adequate to my pool size and how do I determine what HP pump I need for it ?

I was thinking about 250sqft Jandy Cartridge filter, but theres nothing in the manual that states about the pump type/size that would work good with the filter, whats is your opinion on that ?

http://www.bestbuypoolsupply.com/jandy-cs-filter.html

which pump would you recommend to get for that filter ?

Thank you.

Re: need some help with purchasing correct size cartridge fi

veetek20 said:
24'x54" round about 17k gal
I get 13500 gallons since you will only fill it up to about 4 ft.

veetek20 said:
The questions are what sqft cartridge would be adequate to my pool size
Our recommendation would be a minimum 200 sq. ft cartridge filter.

veetek20 said:
and how do I determine what HP pump I need for it ?
For you pool the 3/4 hp 2-speed pentair dynamo or the hayward 1 hp 2-speed matrix powerflo would be good choices. Both of these pumps will be able to turn your pool over in 4-6 hours on high so 8-12 hours on low.

veetek20 said:
but theres nothing in the manual that states about the pump type/size that would work good with the filter, whats is your opinion on that ?
Cartridge filter have no minimum flow rates, only maximum. For filtering, slower is better.

Re: need some help with purchasing correct size cartridge fi

Well, I said the same thing as linen, but no sense wasting the typing ;)

General recommendation around here seems to be about 15 sqft of filter per 1000 gallons at a minimum. That puts you around 200 sqft (based on linen's catch) ... for cartridges, bigger is always better as it means fewer cleanings.

You do not size a pump to the filter ... in fact you should never be needed to run close to the max flow rate of the filter as that justs wastes electricity due to the big pump.

Do you have special features? waterfalls, etc? If not, you probably only want about a 1HP pump at the biggest ... maybe even a 2-speed.

The smaller pumps with lower flow rates will be cheaper to run and the slower flow through the filter actually filters better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.