Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can i lower PH to remove stains and then add pink stuff to i

1. Back To Top    #1

Can i lower PH to remove stains and then add pink stuff to i

Can i lower PH to remove stains and then add pink stuff to it

I already did a AA treatment 3 weeks ago, the stains came back a week ago, I used metal free, was told by some of you guys thats not the good stuff and use the pink stuff by jacks magic.

can i just lower my PH to 6.8 using muratic acid to get the stains to lift then add the pink stuff to the pool?

I would leave the pool filter off since i have a heater, but i do have a cleaning robot that circulates the water pretty good.

opinions and advice? thanks
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can i lower PH to remove stains and then add pink stuff

Only lowering the PH is unlikely to remove the stains, unless they are very very recent, as in today or yesterday.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like i'm lucky, had PH at about 6.6-6.8 and the stains have reduced to not visible by my wife, but i can still barely see them, but more than happy if it stays that way thru the year till i close the pool. then i can do a AA at closing and drain 1/3 of the water.

dumped 2 bottles of pink stuff, (20,000) gallons, i have 15,000

right now slowly raising the TA/PH back into range.

hopefully the stains don't come back.

ofcourse the pool filter isn't running, have the robot circulating the water nicely.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Be certain to maintain the pink stuff weekly because that phosphonic acid will break down continually and then the stains (if iron anyway) will come right back as the ph rises.
    Also note that in my experience when the pink stuff is active, it will help hold the ph down (eg. not as fast a rise) but will also use a little more chlorine than usual for a few days, so don't be surprised, for example, if you are suddenly using 3 ppm of Chl a day instead of 2 ppm.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the info swampwoman