Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oval vs. rectangular vinyl inground

1. Back To Top    #1

Oval vs. rectangular vinyl inground

We have been talking to a few PB and are getting conflicting information. One builder says they want to build a oval pool since they are much stronger than rectangular. Another wants to build a rectangular with 2' radius corners and says it doesn't matter and we gain a bit of swimming room. We like the rectangular builders quote better due to the equipment he uses. Does shape make that much of a difference strength wise?

Thanks
    12' x 24' IGP, 7700 gal, Jandy Aqualink PDA, Jandy LRZ 2500,000, Jandy CL 340 filter, 1hp Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy Aquapure SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oval vs. rectangular inground

I assume you are talking about a Gunite and Plaster pool? There is some truth to free form, or at least radiused corners, having fewer structural issues. The advantage to having the rectangular pool is your ability to put an automatic cover on it.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Oval vs. rectangular vinyl inground

Sorry, we are looking at a vinyl liner pool.
    12' x 24' IGP, 7700 gal, Jandy Aqualink PDA, Jandy LRZ 2500,000, Jandy CL 340 filter, 1hp Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy Aquapure SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

I should have read the title rectangular seem to be the majority of in ground vinyl pools. I stand by my easier to auto cover for the rectangular pool.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

There is really no added strength to a oval.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics