Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH Over 700 - Is This Too High?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH Over 700 - Is This Too High?

Got my TF test kit last night. In a former life I had to perform once-daily checks on boiler feed water so it was like the good old days... I did each test THREE times just to make sure I was doing it right, especially the CYA test.

My results:

FC 8
    CC 0
    TA 150-160 (15 to 16 drops)
    CH 800-900 (This one is bothering me because the pool calculator says I could have scaling issues) (YES, 80 to 90 drops!!)
    CYA 120 (this could be as high as maybe 150, no marks above 100 on little tube and it's not a linear scale anyway)
    PH 7.6
    Temp 92 degrees (aerators are not turned on)

I know CYA is too high and need to drain pool. But, I was going to hold until this fall because we are having pool replastered. Now, with both CYA and CH too high, and CH very high, should I just go ahead and drain the pool? Remember that water costs $$$ in Phoenix.

Pool is clear and bright.
    29,000 gallon concrete/plaster diving pool, 9-1/2 feet deep X 40 feet long. 1.5HP skimmer motor. 1.0HP booster motor for pressure side cleaning robot - Polaris 280. Sand filter. Two built in aerators.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH Over 700 - Is This Too High?

Your CH can be managed by lowering your TA and ph to avoid scaling...See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...alcium_scaling

However, your cya is too high. You should retest cya. Mix 50 % pool water to 50% cya free water, then repeat the test and multiply that result by two, then you should have a good idea where your cya is at, since anything above 100 might be a lot above 100 ppm. The only way to reduce it is a partial drain/refill or since you are in Arizona, you could look into Reverse Osmosis treatment.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Really the high CYA is of greater concern than the CH.

The nice thing about the RO is that it would GREATLY reduce your CH and CYA ... although it will likely cost you over $300.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you are gonna' try to live with that CH then lower your pH down to around 7.2 - 7.4 and then lower your
    TA down around 90 or so.

Almost everything is too high in your pool except the FC which is barely high enough

You'll have a big job on your hands keeping your pool running well for the next few months but if you watch your numbers like a hawk, you can likely do it.

I would never....

1. Let FC get below 10ppm or so

2. Let pH get above 7.4

3. Let TA get above 90

Watch out when you aerate that your pH doesn't go up rather quickly

What is the TA and CH of your fill water?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In Phoenix you have R/O treatment available to you. You should at least look into it. If you explain that you only want to make it to this fall they may cut you deal on a partial treatment.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    In Phoenix you have R/O treatment available to you. You should at least look into it. If you explain that you only want to make it to this fall they may cut you deal on a partial treatment.
    Good point.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, I was afraid my numbers would be too high. That's why I canned the maintenance company. ****ed pucks and cal-hypo weekly shocks. I knew there had to be a better way but I only recently purchased the house, before I was renting and the owner had his pool company do everything. I will test my fill water tonight for both TA and CH. I have a suspicion that the CH will be pretty high.

Really no way out but to just DO IT RIGHT and drain the pool.
    29,000 gallon concrete/plaster diving pool, 9-1/2 feet deep X 40 feet long. 1.5HP skimmer motor. 1.0HP booster motor for pressure side cleaning robot - Polaris 280. Sand filter. Two built in aerators.