Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey guys, need some help here please, I don't think my Poolskim is working very well, I've attached some pictures and a video to show you my install.

I think my included instructions say the Poolskim base unit (before placing in the insert) should be 5-6 inches below water line but the online instructions say 3-4 and I think mine is actually installed somewhere between 8-9.

I'm not sure how to configure it to meet the 3-4 given the equipment that comes stock in the box or what I would have to do to get it at that level, or maybe I'm doing something else wrong.

I also never used those screws because I find the connections are so tight already without them and it is super easy to remove not having the screws in,so just checking if other people do that too.

Attached are my pics and a video. I really appreciate any advice you can give me to get full use out of this.

Video of my Poolskim[attachment=2:33xzyolf]photo 1.JPG[/attachment:33xzyolf]

Re: Problems with my Poolskim install - Pictures/Video inclu

I am not familiar with the PoolSkim, but that sure does not look like you have much suction.

Do you have valves to adjust how much suction comes from various lines? Or a very dirty filter?

EDIT: Obviously I know little about these as I now realize they work on a return line :hammer:

Bama Rambler said:
What is your filter pressure?
How many other returns are in the pool?
What size eyeballs are in the others?

Filter pressure is in the low 20s

5 returns total (2 on steps, 3 in pool), so 4 returns not being used by Poolskim.

No clue on the eyeballs but I'll take pictures tonight and I'll get back to you.

I haven't blocked off any returns, I do have a separate valve for the stairs, so I could knock those ones out at any time.

Wouldn't blocking returns affect the circulation of the pool though?

Bama Rambler said:
I would turn down or even off the ones for stairs. That should increase the flow to the poolskim and make it work better.

Thanks, will try that. What about the difference I have with how far it sits under the water line?

Do you bother using those screws? Seems solid enough, no?

Bama Rambler said:
What is your filter pressure?
How many other returns are in the pool?
What size eyeballs are in the others?

Hi, here is a photo of my pool jet, wha kind is this one? should I be repalcing it with something else?

Turning off the stair jets did improve the pressure, not sure if it is perfect though.[attachment=0:z83xwvo0]pool jet.JPG[/attachment:z83xwvo0]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

That's a standard eyeball fitting with what looks like a 3/4" eyeball in it. If all your fittings are like that you can change out the eyeballs for 1/2" or even 3/8" and that will increase the flow to the Pool-Skim and make it work better while still allowing flow out the returns.

Hi, I have a poolskim, so I will try to help you trouble shoot the problem. I can't tell from the picture if your poolskim is touching the side of the pool or not, but it should be positioned so it does not touch the pool wall. Your poolskim should have come with several pvc parts to help customize the installation. There should have been another elbow, a short pipe and a long pipe in the box. The hat should be able to float freely and you may need to plug 1 or 2 of your additional returns to get enough flow to create the venturi effect that sucks in leaves and debris.

Bama Rambler said:
That's a standard eyeball fitting with what looks like a 3/4" eyeball in it. If all your fittings are like that you can change out the eyeballs for 1/2" or even 3/8" and that will increase the flow to the Pool-Skim and make it work better while still allowing flow out the returns.

I remember reading that the slotted type were the best type to use with a Pool skim, even better than the eye ball type, to be honest up until this point I didn't even know how to refer to mine, I know now that they are eyeball type. At this point I'm willing to swap them all out, I'll buy whatever is best, not too concerned about the price, I don't think it can be too expensive. I know they also sell those return jets that are supposed to be even better for cirulation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.