Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Chlorine level at SWG cell or return

Chlorine level at SWG cell or return

How much higher should the chlorine level be in a water sample taken directly from the cell (by loosening up the junction and capturing leaking water) or from water taken directly from in front of a return, when the SWG is running?

I have a Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite system with a T-15 cell sized for a 40,000 gallon pool. The SWG comparison table mentioned in several posts indicates that the cell should add 1.40 lbs. of chlorine per day. I'm doing some troubleshooting and trying to figure out if my cell is producing a normal amount of chlorine. I have the test kit with the DPD powder.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

Re: Chlorine level at SWG cell or return

I think taking water from the cell is a bad idea (not sure why though ). I would not think the FC level would change much between the cell and the return.

Realize that the cell is not always generating unless you have it set to 100%.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    I think taking water from the cell is a bad idea (not sure why though ). I would not think the FC level would change much between the cell and the return.
    I loosened up the plumbing ring just downstream from the cell, just enough to let a small stream of (just-chlorinated) water leak out. I can't see how that would hurt anything. But I agree with you that the FC level shouldn't change much before the water comes out the return.

Realize that the cell is not always generating unless you have it set to 100%.
    I do realize that. When doing this test, I first turn the cell off and then back on at 100%, and check the voltage and amps on the controller display to make sure it is generating.

Has anyone measured the chlorine "boost" when their SWG is generating?
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

It's impossible to say exactly how much FC there will be in a sample taken at the union. It should be a couple of ppm but you can't tell becasue things like flowrate through the cell will affect it greatly.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.