Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Help with Water Analysis!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help with Water Analysis!

I don't know what has happened to our pool in the past year or so but please help me figure out how I can make it safer for the rest of the season. I'm pretty sure I need to have it drained/start over! We added soda ash per Paddock instructions but the free chlorine is not coming down despite totally removing the chlorinator for a week in 105+ degree sunny weather. Here's the numbers! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide so we can remain swimming this season (if possible!).

12,000 gallon plaster pool
    CYA: 250
    Total Chlorine: 10
    Free: 10
    pH: 7
    alkalinity, total: 100
    Adjusted TA: 25
    Hardness: 500
    Copper- not tested but we have purple stains on our pool in a few locations so something is up here..
    No green alge, no black, no pink slime

What has to happen? should we just be partially draining and re-adding water at this point since it is way too hot to totally drain here in Az?
    Thanks again for any reponses! Neither I nor my husband know much about pools and obviously need to be educated. We've been busy working full time and raising toddlers so, sadly, our pool has suffered. ;(
    Round 18' above ground (about 8,000 gallons), DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Help with Water Analysis!

Welcome!

CYA, hardness and pH are concerns with your plaster pool. Copper and the resultant staining are a big concern as well.

You should work on getting your pH into the mid-7s, but not too high.

You could very well benefit from a reverse osmosis treatment of your water. Due to the high calcium water in your area, RO treatment is offered, and will reduce your CH and CYA.

You need to do more research into your metal issues to find out where you stand.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Need Help with Water Analysis!

Quote Originally Posted by thrashej
    Neither I nor my husband know much about pools and obviously need to be educated. We've been busy working full time and raising toddlers so, sadly, our pool has suffered. ;(
    Welcome to TFP. While you're listening to John's advice, take a look at pool school. Upper right corner of every page. I think you'll find a lot of information that you need right there for the absorption. Your statement above indicates that you're ready and willing to learn, so read pool school and browse the forum. There's a lot of information here for the taking.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry