Unique pool, tell me why I'm an idiot

toxoph

May 1, 2008
SW Florida
This may be long, sorry, Wasnt sure where to post this.

Ok, I have a very unique pool, if you want to call it that. What I have done may not be in the norm (but niether am I). Basically I would like to descibe what I have, what I have done and hear why I should or shouldnt have done that, thanks in advance.

What I have:
We bought the house in 1992. In the front was a 10'x12'x5' pool built probably in the 60s-70s. My neighbor who is in his late 30s remembers swimming in it as a kid. Concrete cast in place, about 4' inground, about 1' above. A large 8' high, 3 tier waterfall empties into it built from limerock by original owner.

It needed a lot of attention to be usable and untill about 5 years ago, I never got around to fixing it. I had lots of visions for it but finally decided to make it a kooi pond (bear with me)

What I have did
So....5 years ago I clean out about 2' of leaves, scrape it down, plug the drain pipes, paint it in blue rubberized pool paint, buy a large biological filter, install a 1/3hp submersible pump about 1' from the bottom, plumb it to the top of the waterfall where it dumps out of a large urn and fill the pool with water.

As the pool is filling, I am thinking whether I should use Kooi or bluegill in it but when its full, something happens......

I decide to take a dip.

There was no turning back. Next thing I know, my boy is in it, the wife and I are drinking adult beverages in it while listening to the soothing water cascade over the rocks. It really makes the Florida summers bearable.

Since then I learned a lot and have done a lot. I have had leaks where I ground them down and patched with eather hydrolic cement or epoxy putty. I have painted it about 3 more times. I struggled with the chemicals to keep it clear, I found a floating chlorinator works best. I use a pool devil (I hear you laughing) as the skimmer. I vacuum it by setting up a siphon into the ditch (ok, quit laughing now), believe it or not, it works.

So, We swim, or rather soak in a pool set up as a Kooi pond for the last 5 years. Since we get so much pleasure with it, I want to keep it and maybe set it up a little better but money is kinda tight.

My concerns and questions
Will the submersible pump go haywire one day and electricute us all?
One advantage to the submersible is its QUIET, I love hearing the waterfall. Dont forget its 8'.

Can I setup a real skimmer?
I only have 1 extra pool devil left :?

What filtration system should I use rather than the bio one I have?

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks

Pictures

As promised, pictures!

pool4.JPG

The pool, The landscaping need attention, we havent used it in 2 years. The creek (coughditchcough) runs behind it. The strangler fig on the palm is an endless source of leaves

pool1.jpg

A closer shot. I want to build a patio on the left side.

pool2.JPG

Closer yet. Freshly painted rubberized paint. Note drains and bracket for pump

pool3.JPG

The waterfall. Urn dumps into egg rocks. The plants love to grow here. I added tile.

pool5.JPG

The bio filter. One hose goes to pump, one to pool devil. A 90 degree valve can vary water flow to the 2. The outlet which WILL have a GFI plug before next swim.

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolidiot said:
Biggest concern I see.....You and your family getting into the "pool" with a pump IN the pool, I would seriously rethink that part.
I agree, thats a big concern of mine and the main reason for the title of my post. I didnt plan on that, it just happened being a fish pond to human pond thing, of course no one plans accidental deaths either :shock:

So is the leading cause of Kooi deaths by electrocution? Are fountains constantly tripping breakers? I know its not as safe as an above ground one but its not a hair dryer either.

Its only 4500 gals but has to push up 8'. If I do get an above ground pump, will a small one for my size push it that high?

Will the noise be too much?

Thanks, again O appreciate all comments.

thats a cool pool.

i would not worry about the pump in the water. the fish swim in it. why not you.

since its in the front yard i guess you can do skinny dipping then, :(

I would not worry about the pump in the water. the fish swim in it. why not you.
Placing the value of your life or someone in your family at the same level as a fish is pretty interesting.

Water and electricity don't mix. If you ignore that rule long enough you will pay a large price.

Tox, I would suggest you NOT swim in a pool with a submersible pump. That could well end up as one of those "You might be a redneck if......" jokes. :lol: :lol:

IkeRay said:
how difficult would it be to hook up a pool pump and return jets?

how well does the bio filter do? my brother "tried" it but gave up after just 2 weeks because "it wouldnt clear". He's very impatient.

Well, the space created by the Pavestone wall and the pool wall certainly gives one a place to hide PVC pipes for return jets. I think that it would be rather simple, with the use of an impact driver, to put holes in the side of the pool for the return jets. A skimmer might be a little tougher. Also the really isn't a good way to put in a floor drain so you would have to do without that. I'm tending to side with the "no swimming with the submersible pump" crowd here.

Craig

Tox,

It wouldn't be fair to your family if not to yourself for 2 reasons:
1) if you had proceeded to make that "pond" of your into a Kooi pond. That pool of yours is better than most places you can find in any nature. Almost heavenly.....
2) if you continue using the submersible and risking ...you know what.

It shouldn't be too difficult to hook a inground skimmer to your pool since you don't have to dig much. You can actually hook a small pump right next to the pool but covered with good sound proofing material on 3 sides and top (except the opening away from pool). You wouldn't hear a thing with your water splashing down the waterfall. My waterfall is only 2 ft high and my pump is right behind my waterfall wall and I don't hear a thing. My 44gpm pump is only 1/2 hp.

Vincent

duraleigh said:
I would not worry about the pump in the water. the fish swim in it. why not you.
Placing the value of your life or someone in your family at the same level as a fish is pretty interesting.

Water and electricity don't mix. If you ignore that rule long enough you will pay a large price.

Tox, I would suggest you NOT swim in a pool with a submersible pump. That could well end up as one of those "You might be a redneck if......" jokes. :lol: :lol:

the coys (sp) or what ever you throw in there are darnded expensive, im sure the pump company would have alot of lawsuits if people who used their pump and it killed 5k worth of fish. not placeing a fish life before mine , just kinda pointing that out.

cant you take two pipes and a pump put the suck pipe at one end and the return pipe at another?????

Whoooo, If Koi are worth 5k I'm putting mine on eBay tomorrow ;)

Toxoph, that's a cool little swimmin' hole you got there! It's kind of tricky keeping water balanced in a body that small, it can change really fast. Not sure if you are aware, but there is a movement where people create living ponds that you can also swim in. Here's a UK site about it:

http://www.gartenart.co.uk/?gclid=CKnIz ... HgodwTSJaw

TresW said:
Whoooo, If Koi are worth 5k I'm putting mine on eBay tomorrow ;)

Toxoph, that's a cool little swimmin' hole you got there! It's kind of tricky keeping water balanced in a body that small, it can change really fast. Not sure if you are aware, but there is a movement where people create living ponds that you can also swim in. Here's a UK site about it:

http://www.gartenart.co.uk/?gclid=CKnIz ... HgodwTSJaw

i didnt mean 5k really, i just know their expensive. why pay what ever they cost, when for 99 cents i can get a gold fish. 8)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.