Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster Mfg recommends these levels?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster Mfg recommends these levels?

I'm going with a KrystalKrete quartz finish for our new pool plaster. The manufacturer recommends the following chemical levels which differ from what the forum recommends. Also they list a level for CL. I'm assuming that's Chlorine but their level is way off from the FC level this forum recommends.

CL 1.0-3.0
    pH 7.2 - 7.6
    TA 80-120 ppm
    CH 200-400 ppm
    CYA 30 - 50 ppm
    Sequest 12 ppm (tested once per month)
    TDS 300-1500 (non salt pools)
    Salt Level 2500-3500 (salt pools)
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster Mfg recommends these levels?

That's similar to what Wet Edge recomments for its Luna Quartz. I have found that it's pretty much impossible to keep my pool at those levels. The frequent MA additions to lower my constantly rising pH keep my TA around 70. And several people here have recommended keeping my TA at 60 in an effort to keep pH relatively stable. Still, I'm adding about a quart or so of MA every 5-6 days to keep my pH from rising above 8.0. With CH of around 525, my CSI usually stays around zero to slightly negative so I believe I'm ok. And, yes, their chlorine levels are not consistent with the TFP method. I keep my FC levels between 3.5 and 5 with CYA at 70-80.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Those are normal industry suggestions. They don't account for the chlorine/CYA relationship. At least they have a clue with the CH and CYA levels. Sequestrant suggestion is related to having metals in the pool. They don't warranty metal staining and to short cut a bunch of issues they just blanket suggest sequestrant for everyone.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

So how would I know whether or not to add sequestrant every month?
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

So how would I know whether or not to add sequestrant every month?
    You could ask KrystalKrete for a metals test when they are out there trying to get the algae out of your new pool because they didn't suggest high enough FC levels.

If you have no metals in your water, you have no need for sequestrant. (Just kidding up above but you are almost guaranteed to get algae running FC levels at what they suggest but you'll have to decide that)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you use public water or well water to fill the pool. If it's public water it most likely doesn't have metals but it's easy to get a water report that will tell you what is in it. If it's well water there's a greater possibility that it has metals but you can have a test ran on it to find out of you don't already know.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit