Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it hard/$$ to add extra light to existing vinyl IG pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it hard/$$ to add extra light to existing vinyl IG pool?

After reading another post I was wondering how feasible and pricey the labor would be to add an add an intellibrite LED light to the side of my shallow end while pool is winterized and water level is lower. I already have one in the deep end. We should have done it during build but bad advice from builder and trying to keep costs down resulted in a finished product we aren't satisfied with. The light just doesn't light up the shallow end compared to the deep end where the existing light is centered.

Also, could it somehow be joined with wire from other one going to same breaker/light switch as both will always be used at same time?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    30,000 gal 20x 40 inground vinyl, 3.5 to 8.5 ft deep, intellichlor SWG, pentair 48 sq ft vertical grid DE filter, 1 hp pentair pump+ booster pump for kreepy krawly pool vac, sun ledge, diving board, intellibrite LED pool light, tf100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is it hard/$$ to add extra light to existing vinyl IG po

It's going to depend on how much decking is on that end of the pool. Outside access is required for the conduit, so you are going to be digging and maybe removing concrete.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

We only have 4 ft of poured cement decking on that side of the pool so I don't know if tunneling to it would be an option to avoid ripping up existing concrete. Husband could do that but would have to hire pool builder to install niche and we would hire out our own electrician to tie it in to existing light breaker.

Anyone done this before?
    30,000 gal 20x 40 inground vinyl, 3.5 to 8.5 ft deep, intellichlor SWG, pentair 48 sq ft vertical grid DE filter, 1 hp pentair pump+ booster pump for kreepy krawly pool vac, sun ledge, diving board, intellibrite LED pool light, tf100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it hard/$$ to add extra light to existing vinyl IG pool?

I think it would cost to much to warrant the light. You would have to rip up concrete, drain your pool, remove the liner, cut a whole for the niche, run power and bonding to it, re install liner, and replace concrete. You may be able to do it with a partial drain and not remove the liner but I am not certain.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know about the feasibility of adding the other light.

You could always try some of these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodtimes-LED ... e/20896253

One lights up my 30' pretty well. If I use more it's very bright. People have used them in the ingrounds, though I'm sure it depends on what material your wall is made out of.
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*