Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Why is an Intex skimmer underwater?

Why is an Intex skimmer underwater?

I was pondering my Intex pump/filter system today, and it seems like, ideally, a skimmer would actually "skim" stuff off the surface of the water - I know I get tons of stuff on the surface of my pool (windy area, close to trees, lots of bugs), and not much if anything gets taken off the surface of the water because it won't get drawn down into the pump inlet.

Is my water level too high? Or does an Intex "skimmer" just not do much if any actual skimming of stuff off the surface of the pool?
    15' AGP, 2650 GPH sand filter, Intex

Re: Why is an Intex skimmer underwater?

Which intex skimmer do you have?

If you have the underwater one that is just a round screen, then you are right it is useless for skimming. If you have the one that a pipe goes from the suction port (which is underwater) to the skimmer that has an arm attached to the top rail...those work okay. The best is the agp skimmer mod, where you cut the liner and place a "real" agp skimmer on the wall.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Which intex skimmer do you have?

If you have the underwater one that is just a round screen, then you are right it is useless for skimming. If you have the one that a pipe goes from the suction port (which is underwater) to the skimmer that has an arm attached to the top rail...those work okay. The best is the agp skimmer mod, where you cut the liner and place a "real" agp skimmer on the wall.
    Yeah, it's the former. I figured it was just a "you get what you pay for" kind of thing for my $300 pool. I will do some searching for the mod you suggest.

Take a look at this thread and the link supertune has in it: http://www.troublefreepool.com/insta...ed-t49225.html
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

The intex skimmer works great. It needs to be under wwter, with the blue ring floating. pushed As far to.the side wall as possible, and tilted so the ring is lower on the inbound side.

Chances are, the filter is getting plugged and it stops skimming well. Clean filter, it will work again.
    I got a lot of skimming to do, this bad boy has handled it well for over five years, maybe more.

Lower the skimmer, it can work well quote a ways under water.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

Can anybody explain the Intex underwater "skimmer" to us non-Intex lurkers? It looks as though the OP has the same expectation of a skimmer as I do - it sucks in surface debris as it recycles water back to the pump & filter. A skimmer can't "skim" if it's underwater; it just sucks (no pun intended).

Thanks!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

On some of the smaller intex's, intex only includes a screen fitting that sits (typically) under the surface on the suction side. They call it a strainer grid, and it looks like this:[attachment=0:2uoi8kxc]10253.jpg[/attachment:2uoi8kxc]

It is mounted much like a return fitting only lower in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    The intex skimmer works great. It needs to be under wwter, with the blue ring floating. pushed As far to.the side wall as possible, and tilted so the ring is lower on the inbound side.
    I am not positive, but I think the OP has this suction side screen and no skimmer, not the bucket type you are referring to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure which the OP is referring to either, but my Ultra Frame Intex came with the "floating" type skimmer, and if you don't have the "floater" part in, the skimmer would just sit underwater. It worked fairly well for me, but I have upgraded pumps to the 2650 pump/SWG combo unit and I would not get enough flow through that skimmer, so this past Sunday I did the "through-wall-skimmer" mod and it is incredible! Not a thing on the surface and tremendous water flow. I would highly recommend it. Other than draining the water level down some and refilling after finished, the acutal modification and install only took about 20 minutes total. Very easy.
    Intex Ultra Frame AGP 16'x48" 5,061 Gal with SWG 2500 GPH pump Cartridge filter

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I am not positive, but I think the OP has this suction side screen and no skimmer, not the bucket type you are referring to.
    OK, makes sense now. I was doing that one stupid phone style from the back yard and missed that whole concept. It's not a skimmer.

The skimmer is really cheap, I think we paid ten bux or less for it many many years ago for our first bubble ring pool. I would have absolutely done this skimmer on a stand like I saw once here if I had to use it on a bubble ring again since any time the ring goes flat, the skimmer gets gorked.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    OK, makes sense now. I was doing that one stupid phone style from the back yard and missed that whole concept. It's not a skimmer.
    I guess that's the long and short of it.

I thought the definition of a skimmer was "what you attach to the inlet side of your pump" but a skimmer has to skim the surface to be a skimmer, otherwise it isn't one.

Thanks! I may have more dumb questions for you folks as I sort out all the pool lingo...

Why is an Intex skimmer underwater?

My feeling is that the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. I frequently ask questions I think I know the answer to just to confirm I have the correct answer.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    My feeling is that the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. I frequently ask questions I think I know the answer to just to confirm I have the correct answer.

+1 to that! And to the OP, I see in your signature you have the 2650GPH Intex sand filter. You will get much better water flow with a larger through-wall type skimmer. Mine came with the strainer cover you are talking about, which has decent water flow, but I had frequent problems with my pump sucking air. When I'd attach the "floating" skimmer, even worse. But with my new one it stays full and pumping great!
    Intex Ultra Frame AGP 16'x48" 5,061 Gal with SWG 2500 GPH pump Cartridge filter