Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Conflicting schooling

1. Back To Top    #1
    Virginia Beach

Conflicting schooling

I found a contradiction in school rules and just wanted to make sure I am doing the right thing with the water balance

The Pool School section on the relationship between Cl and CYA (chart and all) says to drain pool water if CYA gets too high...above 80.
    The Water balance for SWG section says the biggest mistake SWG Vinyl pool owners make is to have too little CYA, ie keep it at 80

Seems conflicting??

Cush Dobbs
    22'x40' IG, Freeform, 26K gal, Vinyl liner pool(2011), three returns plus two step jets, one slide, two skimmers, two LED lights, Stamped Concrete with Aqua PL-Plus Automation panel, Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter 500lb, Hayward Turbo Cell T-Cell 15 (SWG) Smart Pool Scrubber60 Robotic Pool Vac.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sun City West Arizona (2nd Home)

Re: Conflicting schooling

70-80 CYA for SWCG is typical due to the constant level of chlorine being generated.
    14100 Gal IG MiniPebble, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sand Filter, Pop Up Cleaning, Intelliflo VS Pump, Aquacal Heatpump/Chiller, 1/4 Acre Desert Landscaped, Lots of Deck. Built in 1984, updated in 2012 and 2014
    "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Not conflicting at all drain when above 80 ie 90 and higher do a drain. Maintain at 80 not above for swg
    24' 52" Above Ground
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4
    Southern NH

SWG has slightly different rules, seems they can get away with slightly less chlorine levels but prefer higher CYA because it takes time to generate the chlorine. With that said, I've found that areas like mine (not super hot and only partial sun) can get away with lower CYA. Much warmer where you live.
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

5. Back To Top    #5
    Orlando, FL

Bear in mind that CYA requirements can also vary by location, and some of the things here are suggestions that must be tailored to an individual pool. It's a balancing act - when your CYA gets too high, you will have trouble maintaining a high enough chlorine level to be effective. And if it's too low, it'll be hard to not lose your FC during the day.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]