Where do I install a shutoff valve after the skimmer?

Jul 25, 2011
Bedford, NH
I have a 15' round AGP with a new-to-me Waterways cartridge filter. Right now, the hose runs right from my skimmer box into my Hayward pump, then directly into the filter, then out to a single return. There are no shutoff valves anywhere, so when I need to clean the cartridge or do anything with the pump or filter I must disconnect the skimmer box hose at the pump and hold it above the water line. Obviously it'd be much easier to have a valve somewhere. But being new to this setup and unable to find a picture of a shutoff valve, I'm not sure what to do.

FWIW, all of my lines are flexible tubing, connecting using hose clamps.

Reactions: RhondaF
I purchased a pvc ball value and small piece of pvc pipe. I had an extra flexible hose. I cut the piece of pvc in half, glue the pieces into the ball value. I then clamped each hose to each piece of pvc. So that I have skimmer-hose-pvc piece-ball value-pvc piece-hose-pump. I can post pic tomorrow.

Anywhere between the filter and the return is fine. Here's my setup. I have ball valves both before the pump and after the filter. I also have unions on the pump. This winter I will add unions on the filter side as well.

pump.JPG

Reactions: Josue1202
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.