Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Where do I install a shutoff valve after the skimmer?

Where do I install a shutoff valve after the skimmer?

I have a 15' round AGP with a new-to-me Waterways cartridge filter. Right now, the hose runs right from my skimmer box into my Hayward pump, then directly into the filter, then out to a single return. There are no shutoff valves anywhere, so when I need to clean the cartridge or do anything with the pump or filter I must disconnect the skimmer box hose at the pump and hold it above the water line. Obviously it'd be much easier to have a valve somewhere. But being new to this setup and unable to find a picture of a shutoff valve, I'm not sure what to do.

FWIW, all of my lines are flexible tubing, connecting using hose clamps.
    18' round above ground, vinyl liner, 48" deep (flat), approximately 7600 gallons. Waterways/Proline FC075 cartridge filter. 75GPM (71 minute complete cycle), 75 sq ft filtration area.

Re: Where do I install a shutoff valve after the skimmer?

I purchased a pvc ball value and small piece of pvc pipe. I had an extra flexible hose. I cut the piece of pvc in half, glue the pieces into the ball value. I then clamped each hose to each piece of pvc. So that I have skimmer-hose-pvc piece-ball value-pvc piece-hose-pump. I can post pic tomorrow.
    24 ft. round ABG-vinyl-15200 gallon
    Sand Filter w/1 1/2 HP pump
    Installed May 2011
    Taylor K-2006 test kit
    BBB method

http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Anywhere between the filter and the return is fine. Here's my setup. I have ball valves both before the pump and after the filter. I also have unions on the pump. This winter I will add unions on the filter side as well.

15'x30'x48 AG Pool
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Pump
    Hayward S180T Sand Filter
    SWG
    Solar Heat 4'x20'

Thanks. I should have read more first...because now I'm going to build a small concrete base and hard plumb my filter and pump. Should be easy then!
    18' round above ground, vinyl liner, 48" deep (flat), approximately 7600 gallons. Waterways/Proline FC075 cartridge filter. 75GPM (71 minute complete cycle), 75 sq ft filtration area.