Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: above ground pool cover and leaves

1. Back To Top    #1

above ground pool cover and leaves

We live in the southeast and have a new above ground pool with many trees surrounding it. The leaves and gumballs clog up the filter daily, which we clean. We are heading on vacation for a week and are trying to figure out how to inhibit the clogs.

Can we put a pool cover on it to keep out the leaves and such?
    If so, what kind would be good for the southeast? Just a tarp? One that we can use for winter? What is a recc'd winter cover for above ground pools in the southeast?

If not a cover, any other suggestions on how to inhibit the clogs?

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: above ground pool cover and leaves

Welcome to TFP.

Any type cover will help. If you have a solar cover that will work or even a winter cover.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Southeast Missouri

Re: above ground pool cover and leaves

We have several trees over our pool, and I used to put the winter cover on while we were gone. We were gone last year for 12 consecutive days, and I covered it with a leaf net. When we returned home, the net had leaves, pecans, etc. on it. It worked out great. Matter of fact, I have put the leaf net on a few times the past couple of months because the drought is making my trees drop leaves and pecans. Needless to say, I think a leaf net is a good investment for a pool with trees near. We even use it over our winter cover.
    24x52 AGP; 1 HP Hayward Power-Flo Matrix;
    Hayward DE Filter Hard Plumbed; BBB Method; Pool School
    🌞 "School's Out For Summer!" 🌴