Hamilton, Oh
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello to all in the new world of Pools that I am quickly learning about. In about a month, we will be getting a pool installed. I am so excited to own my first pool, but also extremely nervous about having to maintain it. Based on what I have read tonight, the nervousness is starting to go away.

I have only been on this forum for the last two hours but have already learned more in that time then any of the pool installers that we have visited. The classic comment that I received from one installer when I started asking about filter, pumps, etc was " Usually everyone just gets this set-up and are very happy"?? What?? They were clueless when I asked about any details.

I hope to find all of the "true" information that I am looking for on this forum and based on the last two hours, this is the place to be.

Hope the install goes as well as reading this forum.

Welcome to TFP!

No reason to be nervous about owning or operating a pool. With what you can learn here, it'll be simple and you will be lightyears ahead of your neighbors who may have had pools for years without really knowing about what is going on in their water. Just be sure to get you a good test kit such as the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 from tftestkits.net. Keep reading and good luck!

Hi JabbaJon and welcome to TFP! :)
I wished I was in your shoes when I started pool care!
1 st year sucked, until I landed here last year!
TFP pool care is so fun and easy now!
Get the TF-100 kit and skip the headache of not having one!
I was so close of getting rid of my pool...now I did get rid of it (Intex 15'/gave it to son) and got me a BIGGER one, so much fun with the family now!
Hang here and you'll have a great life with a pool!
Oh! By the way this is one of my favorite links now to help all you newbies!
click-here-to-become-a-troublefreepool-com-supporter-t183.html

Chuck

Wow, I expected a reply or two, but this is great. Thanks for the welcomes and I look forward to posting all of the issues that I have, or better don't have from good testing and this forum. I am already considering becoming a supporter and getting the discount on the test kit. Just deciding on what level of support. Thanks again for the posts

Will be more involved in posts once the pool actually goes in. For now, going to spend time reading, and reading and reading to learn all that I can before the pool goes in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, most of the equipment is listed in my signature. Being new to this forum, is there other items I should list. There is one light, led two drains, two returns, deep end is 8 foot. Also, based on reading forum, the pvc plumbing is 1 1/2 and i see were 2" is common. Is there a rating on what size should be used. The pump is a 1 hp superflo. I am concerned that 1 1/2" is not large enough. Pool is 18' x 36' and about 30k gallons based on what, they have told me. Based on a pool calculator it is more like 26k. Not sure

Our recommendation for sand filter size for your 30000 gallon pool would be 5.6 sq.ft. The one in your sig (SD80) is only 3.5 sq. ft. Top mount filters from pentair only go up to 4.6 sq. ft. (the TA100D). Hayward has a top mount that is 4.9 sq. ft. (the S310T2) and one at 7.0 sq. ft. (the S360T2). Pentair has a side mount that is 4.9 sq. ft. (TR100) and one that is 7 sq. ft. (TR140).

The 1 hp superflo urhp pump your have is on the edge for being able to backwash the ~4.9 sq. ft. filters...but should work. The jump up to ~ 7 sq. ft. filter most likely will require a larger pump such as the 1.5 hp superflo, though you might get by with the 1 hp if you keep your supply side plumbing losses low (see note below on plumbing).

With that said, whatever pump/ filter combination you get, I would recommend at least a 2-speed pump, since that should increase your filter efficiency and save you energy in the long run.

As for you plumbing design, do not settle for 1.5 inch, in fact you may want to look at multiple 2 in lines back to the equipment pad depending on how many skimmers/drains you plan on. Do you have this detail yet?

I have talked with the installer about the filter and pump and both can be upgrade but the cost to upgrade is more then it would cost me to order myself. I was planning on a cartridge filter and the intelliflo pump based on my forum reading. Now I am looking at the Hayward VS pumps based on some efficiency information I have read on this forum. I think I could install both and have a friend that is a certified electrician and has done pool installation so this helps on the cost( and trust).

As I understand it, the pool would have two drains and 1 skimmer. I have no information on the number of lines(feed or return). I am putting together another email to the installer to get more information. I am doing by email since this is documented versus just a phone call.

My main concern was trying to upgrade filter/pumps/etc later and finding out that the 1-1/2 pvc is too small. If I understand correctly the 1-1/2 will work but will increase the pressures.

I am not a rocket scientist by any means but as I talk with the pool installers(3 at this point), they are either not very educated on the equipment or low ball all of the equipment to increase their profit.

At this point I am re-thinking the installer that I am working with but this would further delay the install. And then I don't know that I can find an installer that clearly demonstartes that they know the details. As everyone else says, I wish I had found this site earlier then now, but at least I found it now.

Thanks again.

Ok, I received email back and their are multiple lines used for the drains and skimmer. The reply was limited on the detail on haw these multiple lines are plumbed. I plan to visit with them next week and discuss the details. Thanks for point me in the right direction, now just have to get the details on how they install.

If you have multiple lines, then 1.5" can work. A rule of thumb...two 1.5" lines roughly can equal the flow rate of 1 2" line. I still would probably opt for 2" lines if you can, but multiple 1.5" lines can work. Also, upsizing the supply lines is more important than the return (back to the pool) lines.

How many returns to the pool will you have?

Back to the installer with another question. Bet they earn their money on this install. Thats ok. They might learn something from me. Thanks again.

I did get a nice breakdown on the gpm of pcv. Interesting reading.

My other concern is if the whole system is 1-1/2 then multiple line dont help because the feed is still limited to the same gpm.

Welcome! I am actually in Grove City, just south of Columbus and have some family down in Cinci, my brother in laws parents actually live in Hamilton. We just had our pool installed last year... I would really recommend an additional return, we have 3 and still have bad circulation in a few areas. As well we ended up changing from the HW Superpump this spring to the Pentair VS and the new pump is amazing, as well its dropped our electric bill a TON. So upgrading that is a great choice. The G5 lights work amazing, they light our pool up very well, but with the placement of the pool we decided to do two of them so it wouldn't shine in our eyes while we were sitting on the patio. Here is a link to our build... 16-x-32-inground-vinyl-finally-completed-pergola-added-t31990-40.html?hilit=16x32

The whole process is so exciting!! Can't wait to see your progress!!

JabbaJon said:
My other concern is if the whole system is 1-1/2 then multiple line dont help because the feed is still limited to the same gpm.
If you go to 2" or 2.5" at the pad as the pipes come together at a manifold, then you are not loosing the advantage, though you would still get some benefit of multiple runs even if you choke it to 1.5" at the pad. With that said, seem like no reason to choke it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support