Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advise please on Above Ground

1. Back To Top    #1

Advise please on Above Ground

I have read the pool school several time and refer back to it often, thanks!!! I would like some advice or confirmation that I am on the right track.

I shocked our new pool until I maintained less than 1 ppm loss of chlorine over night. However, by the end of the day, the chlorine is .5 - 0. The pool is in direct sunlight all day.

Based on everything I read, I tested the CYA level it was .5. Ok, now I know why I am losing chloring during the day. Using the calculator I added 83 oz of stabilizer in a sock yesterday, it has not completely dissolved.

My water is crystal clear with no evidence of algae, I have been adding 186 oz of bleach per night while I wait for the cya to rise. Should I keep the chlorine at shock level until I have the proper cya reading or is what I am doing ok?

Thanks!!! You have taught me so much about pool maintainenace!
    18 x 33 oval above ground; swimquip D.E. filter system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advise please on Above Ground

Hi carock and welcome to TFP!
    My pool in 85% daylight with high heat (Florida) I will lose 3.5-4ppm and if all the kids in it 3-4 hours... another 1 to 1 1/2 ppm.
    My CYA is 50ppm.
    My guess is once your pool balance is good, you'll want to be at least 40-50 range depending on your temperature.
    You will have to wait about 4-5 days for CYA to show up in testing.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply Chuck. I wanted to comfirm I am on the right track. Should I float chlorine tabs in the feeder or just make adds with liquid bleach each night?

thank you
    Carla

4. Back To Top    #4

Would make manual add to water.Since you have add'd Stab. to water.Would stay away from the tablet's&only use when on Vacation..Just saying&2cent's doesn't count.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the advice Kplaster, I will take out the float.

6. Back To Top    #6

Carock,
    I would stay away from the pucks. Like what was said... use them when your not home to help with pool care.
    Pucks are acidic and will lower pH and also add CYA and some chlorine all in one product!
    I think you will have a better understanding of TFP water chemistry if you keep them all separate.
    Use bleach or the stronger liquid chlorine for FC,
    From the Pool School:
    You can lower pH with muriatic acid or dry acid.
    You can raise pH with borax or soda ash/washing soda. Soda ash/washing soda will increase TA more than borax will.
    You increase CYA by adding cyanuric acid, often sold as stabilizer or conditioner. CYA is available as a solid and as a liquid. The liquid costs a lot more, and generally isn't worth the extra expense. Solid stabilizer can take up to a week to fully register on the test, so don't retest your CYA level for a week after adding some.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    TF-100 test kit
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes!!! I finally held chlorine on a hot sunny day! 3.31...I feel so accomplished

8. Back To Top    #8

Gotta love this place!

Chuck
    TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

So now that I have all the numbers where they are suppose to be and I am retaining chlorine on these hot sunny days. I add 96 oz of bleach each evening. My question is do I need to also add Algaecide once a week? Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by carock
    So now that I have all the numbers where they are suppose to be and I am retaining chlorine on these hot sunny days. I add 96 oz of bleach each evening. My question is do I need to also add Algaecide once a week? Thanks!
    No.

You may never need to add algaecide nor "shock" your pool ever again. Just keep FC above minimum for your CYA level.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you Richard!