Previous owner was using tri chlor tabs in an automatic dispenser....and was using chlor brite to shock.
I've had water tested using a computerized system, and my results are:
Free chlorine: .15 ppm
Total Chlorine: 1.63 ppm
Combined Chlorine: 1.48 ppm
Hardness: 119 ppm
Alkalinity: 85 ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 250 ppm
Copper: 1.6 ppm
Iron: .29 ppm
Upon reading info from pool school, I've realized that the previous owner has been adding CYA because he used trichlor tabs and chlor brite to shock....thus increasing CYA to these ridiculous levels.
I know I'm not supposed to drain my entire fiberglass pool, or even go below the inlets when I drain, so I've started draining a couple of inches at a time and replacing water to mid skimmer level daily.
I just added about 1 and 1/4 gallons of 6% clorox.
Does that sound right? What should I do?
Thanks for your help!
P.S.: We closed on our "new to us house" on 6/28. Went for a swim that night that we closed....moved in on 6/30. Being a pool newb, I didn't realize the importance of monitoring the pool daily, so I didn't look in the automatic dispenser until about 7/4, and noticed the tabs were completely dissolved. I tested with strips on 7/5, and saw the FC levels were practically non existent, as they still are. By 7/9, both my wife and I have developed ear infections. I don't want to get back in the pool until I know it's safe, especially since we have our 9 month old swimming with us since we moved in.