New liner install gone wrong, vermiculite bottom collapsed

May 17, 2009
NC
I hired a company to install a new liner in May, He said it would take two weeks, Start to finish.

The pool was drained, measured and new liner ordered (old liner was removed). While the pool was empty A pump was installed on one of three wellpoints to prevent the walls from collapsing. The pump ran (three weeks) until the new liner arrived. Toward the end of the three week period the pump was draining the wellpoint, it started pumping sand. Then new liner was installed, and filled with water. Now that the water is clear enough to see underwater, I can see the vermiculite bottom has collapsed in many large areas. There is also a screwdriver under the liner in the deep end. My pool is ruined...

My pool cleaner gets stuck constantly because the bottom of my pool looks like the lunar surface...

The crew that did this job left a poor impression. They never showed up when they said they would. they never cleaned any of the mess they made, and on one occasion they were rude to my wife and were nearly fired on the spot. I wish I had never hired this company...

I called the company owner and told him about the condition of the pool, he apologized and offered
to reduce the cost of the liner install by $400.

I Paid $1325 up front and owed around $1400, but now it is $1000 due to the price reduction. I hate to pay a company that took two months to do something they said up front would take two weeks, and my pool is ruined to boot...Any suggestions?

Re: New liner install gone wrong, vermiculite bottom collap

$400 reduction is a slap in the face.

Bottom line is that you want your property returned to the state the contractor originally found it, with the exception of the liner.
Unfortunately I think your gonna need to consult a lawyer, sounds like your pool has serious damage so who's gonna pay to have it fixed?

Re: New liner install gone wrong, vermiculite bottom collap

Take a TON of photos and quit talking in public forums about this issue. As much as we'd love to help, you could slip up and say something that could harm you.

Call a lawyer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.