Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need diagnosing help

1. Back To Top    #1

Need diagnosing help

I have a Goldline Aqua logic salt system, the 40,000 gal size system. My salt reading display is showing 2400. I took a water sample into my local pool supply place and the salt level shows 3400. My salt cell is 7 years old. I pulled the main circuit board, which I replaced 3 years ago, and checked it for obvious signs of any burned out components or burn marks on the board itself and it appears clean with no damage. Is this problem being caused by the cell going bad? The pool company plugged my cell in and they said it appeared to be working correctly and making chlorine. Help......from Robert
    28k gal, iG, vinyl, 1 1/12 HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward EC 65 DE filter, Kreepy Krauly cleaner< we live in Gardner Massachusetts

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need diagnosing help

One sign of the cell going bad is indeed a continued lowering of the salt level it reads ... 7 years is a LONG time.

You may be able to continue to use it for awhile by raising the salt level to make the SWG happy ... if it thinks the salt is OK it will keep making FC.

But, when this becomes unmanageable, you will then have to do partial water changes to get the salt back down to an acceptable level for the new cell.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Does your cell produce chlorine? If so, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about what it displayed but rather about keeping it happy so it "thinks" it has enough chlorine
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Need diagnosing help

What is the problem? Being 7 years old it is probably starting to go bad and you will have to add more salt to satisfy it but I am far from an expert so someone else can probably chime in. Also the pool store reading is probably off. Most on this board say to go with what your display is telling you and at 2200 you need to add most salt. What is your fc level looking like?

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you guys for the replies. Looks like I'll be getting a new salt cell.
    28k gal, iG, vinyl, 1 1/12 HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward EC 65 DE filter, Kreepy Krauly cleaner< we live in Gardner Massachusetts

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    One sign of the cell going bad is indeed a continued lowering of the salt level it reads ... 7 years is a LONG time.

You may be able to continue to use it for awhile by raising the salt level to make the SWG happy ... if it thinks the salt is OK it will keep making FC.

But, when this becomes unmanageable, you will then have to do partial water changes to get the salt back down to an acceptable level for the new cell.

Thank you Jason. I replaced my salt cell this morning with a new T-Cell-15 Ultra, which is a replacement for the Goldline model. Cost $340.00 and comes with a 3 year warranty. Purchased through the "Pool Guy Supply." Your diagnosis was correct. Thank you.