Finally got my test kit!!! Results below

Hi, Tracy,

Unfortunately, you haven't started to shock just yet. Looking at the FC/CYA relationship chart in Pool School, a CYA of 60 (56) requires a target value of 24ppm FC to attain shock. Importantly, you must constantly replenish your FC to keep it at 24ppm until your water is crystal clear.

You are missing tests for TA and CH although they are not very important while you are clearing a pool.

duraleigh said:
Hi, Tracy,

Unfortunately, you haven't started to shock just yet. Looking at the FC/CYA relationship chart in Pool School, a CYA of 60 (56) requires a target value of 24ppm FC to attain shock. Importantly, you must constantly replenish your FC to keep it at 24ppm until your water is crystal clear.

You are missing tests for TA and CH although they are not very important while you are clearing a pool.

Duraleeigh i have been working on this pool for over a week...it was very green i have another post under the BBB method. we are starting a new filtration system on this pool tonight and then eventually adding our SWG back to it. Thanks for your information and i am trying to learn everything at once here so my kids can enjoy a Crystal clear pool before school starts in a month. we had the pool to where we could see the bottom yesterday and was looking very good until hubby went to vacuum and everything just started shooting out the outflow and now everything is cloudy!!! I read this in BBB for beginneres Vinyl pools without a spa should keep CH anywhere under 300, which usually means you don't need to worry about it much at all.

I've been keeping my FC at 20 ppm and my cya target was 50 but went a little over not to concerned because by thee time the kids get in and splash. I also tested in th middle of the day because i was excited to get my kit and gt my own results, so considering this morning my FC was bought bacck up to 20 and its been really hit and full sun toDAY. tonight i will test again and bing back up to 20 if need be.

Night test results

FC 14.5 Need to add 2.5 ozs of Bleach
CYA 50 FOrgot i added water the other day we were low 6.8 ozs of stabilizer
PH 7.8 add 13 ozs of Muriatic acid

Hubby is home with new filter, is eating then gonna get that hooked up

Any suggestions are greatly accepted and appreciated!! thanks i dont know know if i should ask this here but when should we hook our SWG back up?

Im sure i forgot something im new to the liquid testing

Don't use your SWG until you are finished shocking. Don't allow swimmers until you are finished shocking. You are finished shocking when you have 1.) CC less than or equal to 0.5, 2.) A FC loss of no more than 1 ppm overnight, and 3.)clear water. Until you have ALL 3 of these things, you are not finished shocking and you will continue to have problems. If you do not follow the shocking instructions in pool school fully and completely and all the way through, you absolutely will continue to have algae. So if your shock level for your CYA level in your pool is a FC of 24, then bringing it to 20 isn't going to work for you. Bring it to shock level, KEEP it there, and do so until the three conditions that I mentioned above are all met.

ok so for aFC am i going by a regular cya or swg pool cya? Because its two different numbers to be at so i dont know which numbers to follow,Pool is not green just cloudy..we picked up the new sand filtration filter last night and have been running it and im using the taylor test kit..swg has been turned off since the pool had went green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.