Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sand filter blowing air after back wash and rinse

1. Back To Top    #1

sand filter blowing air after back wash and rinse

I have a 2650 intex sand pump and I backwashed and rinsed after vacuuming and now it is blowing air thru the return it does not have a leak anywhere I am stumped
    thanks for any help
    24x52 sharkline heritage agp,Hayward power flo lx 1h/p,Hayward s210 sandfilter, and tf100 test kit
    BBB method and pool rover jr

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: sand filter blowing air after back wash and rinse

You have a suction side air leak. Somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s), air is being sucked into the system. Find that leak and your issues will be solved.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It could even be sucking air in through the skimmer body if it creates a vortex (mini tornado in the water) or the water level is too low for the skimmer.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm on board with Techguy. Since you backwashed the level in the pool will be lower and the pump will create a vortex at the skimmer and suck air in unless you've refilled it to the proper level.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

sand filter blowing air after back wash and rinse

Do the intex skimmers have a basket or vortex breaker in the bottom of the over the wall skimmers?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100