Folsom, CA
Hello Experts:

Test results from my Taylor K-2006:

pH: 7.8
FC: 4.0
CC: Absent
TA: 80
CH: 230
CYA: Was ~20 on Saturday. Added some cyanuric acid to bring the level up to 30, and will test it again in a day or two.

1. I am already using bleach to maintain chlorine levels, and baking soda to increase the TA, so I guess I am ready for the 3rd B of BBB method..that is Borax. I want to reduce my chlorine use, as well as get a sparkling pool with algaecide properties :). So, based on my pool size of ~ 9800 gallons, pool calculator shows that I need about 462 oz. of borax (20 Mule Team, correct?) and 220 oz of 31.25% muriatic acid to raise the borates to 40 ppm. (Assuming I have 0 borates now...I have not tested for it yet, I just re-filled my pool, it is just a guess that there are no borates). Since each box of 20 Mule team is 76 oz., I will need 6 boxes to raise borates to 40 ppm. And I will need to buy about 2 gallons of muriatic acid (with some left over). Are my calculations correct?

2. I will be buying 20 Mule borax at Walmart. They have it at ~3.5 bucks per box. Are hardware stores good to buy muriatic acid (for cost benefit).

3. Where do you buy LaMotte Borate test strips? I have been searching all over the net for the last couple of days, but cant find a place.

Re: Going the BBB route.where to buy LaMotte Borate Test Str

TFTestkits has had them on order for weeks and they have not shipped. We ran out today so have taken them off our website (we do not backorder) and I suspect others may have done the same.

We'll put them back up the day they get here but LaMotte has been unable to provide us that info so far.

Re: Going the BBB route.where to buy LaMotte Borate Test Str

Dave,

I thought I'd seen them before on your site but when I went to look for them earlier for the OP in another thread I couldn't find them. Thanks for the explanation. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.