Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF-100 chemicals and CH question

1. Back To Top    #1

TF-100 chemicals and CH question

First big thanks to all. I have been using the BBB method for 3 months and the water looks great. I'm almost to a point where I could add chemicals without even taking measurements just by looking at the pool and knowing what I added last. I always try to guess before testing.

I do have a question about chemicals for the test kit. At first I was testing weekly but now it's every 10-14 days between testing (asside from daily or every other day OTO and PH test). When I test I was testing everything. I am needing to order more r-0010, r-0012 and r-0013. Just curious as to why the kit had fewer test for CH and CYA than the other ones. Should I be testing these less often?

Also I have been testing my neighbors pool and I converted them over the bbb method as well. Their CH was over 500 but now it's around 470. Everything I read says they will need to drain but is that really the case or will this drop over time? Also how bad is this level, what are the downsides of it being this high. (her pool is inground chlorine and plaster)

TIA
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: TF-100 chemicals and CH question

Just curious as to why the kit had fewer test for CH and CYA than the other ones. Should I be testing these less often?
    Yes. CYA and CH are both reasonably stable and I suggest testing them only 4-6 times during a swim season.

We try to keep the chemistry in sensible quantities to control the cost. The R-0010 is a pretty good example.....it's a fairly expensive reagent so we put it in .5oz bottles but that is still enough to perform the CH test 16+ times.

CYA (R-0013) is not so expensive but you use a good bit of it on most every test (1/2 oz) so the 8 oz of CYA gives you enough for around 15 or so tests.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What about the CH question? Im interested too, mine is close to 500 too.
    screened-in 10,500 gal IG gunite pool, DiamondBrite, 1.5 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 Cartridge Filter, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 6 solar panel heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

CH doesn't go down unless you drain and refill it with lower CH water.

I use a 10 ml sample, as it saves reagent, and with my numbers, 25ppm is good enough resolution. Your 500 is out of the ideal range, but it is do-able. Those of us in hard water areas can only dream of 200 readings - - since the water out the tap is above that. My CH is around 800, and as long as I keep TA and pH down, there's no scaling.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know if this thread hijacking, if ao sorry, I won't do it again... How low do you keep ph and TA with CH this high? I have scaling.
    Yes, this is hijacking. Please post in your own topic. JasonLion
    screened-in 10,500 gal IG gunite pool, DiamondBrite, 1.5 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Hayward Star-Clear Plus C1200 Cartridge Filter, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, 6 solar panel heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Cajun,
    When I test for CYA the very first time I use the directions for the fill lines on the bottle.
    You never need R-0013 that much again once you get CYA up. I use the 10ml line in the vial with pool water then add up to the 20ml line with R-0013 for a 50/50 mix. This will save some reagent, as this will be enough to get to 40 ppm of CYA on the tube.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks duraleigh I'll be ordering more from you next month but good to know about the timeframes for testing.

Richard so you are basically using 8 drops of R-0010 and 2 drops of R-0011L? I assume that's what you are saying just reducing all the numbers in proportion to the reduced pool water in the sample.

chuck good point I never really though it of that way but as long as its a 50/50 mix you just need enough to get to 40 ppm. Thanks for the tip.
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun
    Thanks duraleigh I'll be ordering more from you next month but good to know about the timeframes for testing.

Richard so you are basically using 8 drops of R-0010 and 2 drops of R-0011L? I assume that's what you are saying just reducing all the numbers in proportion to the reduced pool water in the sample.

chuck good point I never really though it of that way but as long as its a 50/50 mix you just need enough to get to 40 ppm. Thanks for the tip.
    Nope. As it says in the extended directions
    If you expect that your CH level is extremely high, you can do the test so that each drop is 25, instead of 10, to speed up the process and save on reagent usage. Use 10 ml of pool water, 10 drops of R-0010, 3 drops of R-0011L, and multiply the number of drops of R-0012 by 25 to get your CH level.
    Although I use 5 droips of R-0011L because it makes the color more vivid. I haven't seen any difference in results with the extra indicator.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!