Help ants everywhere climbing up the pool and diving in

Jun 30, 2011
How can i keep the ants away from the pool these little critters are crazy. They actually climb the pool and dive in. I have been spraying around the pool before we swim and when we get done but they come right back as soon as the kids start splashing. Any suggestions.

Boric Acid. 20/20 mule tam will work. Dust the ant area with it, they think it's food and bring it back to their queen. Best to find where they're coming from though. Don't let the kids eat it either. It is poison. Kills fleas too.

frogabog said:
Boric Acid. 20/20 mule tam will work. Dust the ant area with it, they think it's food and bring it back to their queen. Best to find where they're coming from though. Don't let the kids eat it either. It is poison. Kills fleas too.

Is there any issue with pets like dogs eating the stuff?

If you're using an ant killer from one of the big box stores, it most-likely is weak and washing away. I suggest looking around doyourownpestcontrol.com or domyownpestcontrol.com and finding both a sugar-based ant bait, as well as a protein-based ant bait. Baits are important, because the ants will carry it back to their next and kill the colony. Now, understand that you won't see instant results from a bait, but in the end, they'll do much better at telling the ants they're unwelcome. Most spray ant killers are generally regarded as safe, once they have dried, so pets and children should be OK. Some even have a residual affect if they are properly applied. Make sure that you don't apply the big-box store "insect barrier" products near the baits, as the "insect barrier" stuff contains a repellant, which will prevent the critters from taking the bait.

Glock said:
http://www.terro.com/products.php?product=ant_shaker_bag

Seriously, you will never have ants again. Dust around your pool and house.

Terro granules are protein-based. If the ants are full of protein from some other source, they'll ignore it an go on looking for water and carbohydrates. However, if they're hungry for protein, it should work fine.....as long as they're not carpenter ants, which don't die from borax. (black, 3/8" - 1/2" in size).

UnderWaterVanya said:
Is there any issue with pets like dogs eating the stuff?
I wouldn't use borates/boric acid if you have pets who can eat it. In it's concentrated form it's toxic to animals in general though it takes more than just some sprinkles. See the Are Borates Safe to Use? thread for more details. The lethal dose is around 500 mg per kg of body weight so about 6 times worse than table salt, but first symptoms were seen with dogs at 29 mg/kg/day (about 2 tablespoons per kilogram of body weight per day).

I have 3 dogs and have used borax on my carpets as a flea treatment. I sprinkle it on the carpets and let it stay there for a couple of weeks to dehydrate flea eggs. My dogs have never gotten sick from it...they are b igger dogs ranging from 50 to 80lbs. My sister used the same treatment for fleas and has 3 cats...no ill effects. I would feel comfortable using Borax to treat ants with pets/kids around. just my 2 cents and my experience...only do what you're comfortable with. :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I use cornmeal. Grocery store cornmeal in a the can. You should be able to find where the hills/nests are, at least somewhat of the path. Sprinkle it over the area and around it. They eat it, but can't digest it.

RE: Cornmeal...

I have not been able to find any reliable sources to validate this method. At least one source (SNOPES.COM) pointed me to this reference: http://www.homegrowntexas.com/issues/Se ... index.html

However the references above is not directly in conflict with the idea that the larva may not be able to properly digest this. My own guess is that even if this is true - the ants would stop bringing this food and switch to another food if the product was not digested properly.

In any case - if there are references that show that this is true - I'd like to see them.

Here is one person's test of DIY remedies:
http://www.diylife.com/2011/06/27/testi ... d-of-ants/

Note that cornmeal did not work but there is no clear timetable and the testing may have stopped too soon. I'd really love to see someone test this in a controlled environment.

I use ground Cinnamon in places where pets are and it works great, if you have ants in the house like on the kitchen counter where you don't want to use poison. You will have to make sure it stays dry for a little while but once the ants walk through the cinnamon it gets in their joints and burns and they go back home and tell the other ants not to go that way. I know it sounds crazy but it works.

I live in the woods near the Sam Houston National Forest in Texas.

Carpenter ants have been bad these last two years due to mild winters.

I use grits. Uncooked grits poured at the base of each tree every 3 days for 9-12 days and they are gone. I have NOT looked up the adult life cycle of a carpenter ant but the first two or three days (the first week) kills the adults and the extra days are for the newly hatched ones.

It works for me. I buy several five pound bags of uincooked grits and pour about 1/2 cup at the base of each tree. I have many, many trees so maybe one five pound bag should work.

Hope this helps,
Marti (My first post!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.