Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is algacide need in a 24' AG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is algacide need in a 24' AG?

Noob here... I just installed our pool 2 weeks ago...I've been following the advice on pool school and pool has been clearing up nicely (high TA, but still working on that).

The wife came home from Costco the day of the install with a 2 gallon jug of algacide, and as a noob, I followed the advice on the jug and added 2 cups into the new pool water...the jug then recommends to add 1/4 cup every week during the summer, which I've been doing.

Question - If the numbers are good, does one need this stuff? Does it have an effect on the numbers at all or is it a hidden key ingredient? Is it snake oil?

Size: 24' dia ~12,000 gallons
    Filter: 200 lb Jacuzzi sand filter
    Type: Above Ground
    Liner: Vinyl
    Pump: 1 HP Jacuzzi

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Is algacide need in a 24' AG?

There is no need for algaecide in normal use. As long as you are maintaining your levels correctly it won't help, and some kinds of algaecide can cause problems of their own (especially copper based algaecides, and to a lesser extent linear quats).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is algacide need in a 24' AG?

Keep the Nasty out of my pool..No need for it.Just another money maker.Proper water balance is the only way.
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit