Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Average water loss?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Minooka, IL

Average water loss?

What is the average range for evaporation water loss? I was just curious.
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Average water loss?

I generally lose less than 1/2" per day no matter how hot it gets.

Wind seems to affect it more than temperature.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

We lost about an inch this past week. It was super hot. I notice more loss when the cover is off...for obvious reasons. We keep our pool at 92 or above so at night we probably lose some due to evaporation.
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

This map shows annual pan evaporation rates across the country where it's around 55" in Illinois. That would be 0.15" per day, but evaporation is higher in the summer because the pool water is often heated and the air is usually drier. It also depends a lot on wind. I usually double the annual amount for a rough summer limit so that would be 0.3" per day, but actual amounts would usually be less than that.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

With the intense heat I've been losing probably 1" per week. An average week is somewhere around 1/4-1/2".
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]