Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water

Recovering from a week of heavy July 4 usage in a commercial campground pool - now sporadic - yesterday morning CL reading was point 5 so added shock.

Today's readings:
    FC=11, CC=1, TA=80, CH=320, CYA=80, PH=6.8 (added muriatic acid 2 days ago to lower the TA which was at 100, goal=70)

Trying to figure out how I can aerate without a "guest" hanging on/breaking the aerator. Use the threaded eyeball somehow but welcome suggestions on this too.

New to a CompuPool48 SWG this year so still getting hang of it.

OK, so how to get rid of cloudy water. What piece of puzzle am I missing? Help Mr Wizard!!! and thanks.
    Campground pool but not heavy usage as a rule, 36,000 gallon in-ground gunnite, sand filter (new sand May, 2011), 1.5 HP pump running 24 hours from mid-May to early September, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Single main drain and Vac-alert safety device, TF-100 test kit,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water

With a CC reading of 1 and cloudy water sounds like you have algae. You need to shock you pool using the procedure at this link. Do not use shock, go get some chlorine from the store. Using shock causes other issues.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Agree on shocking (using bleach and PoolSchool directions...not a 'bag of shock'). Also, you should get you pH up to at least 7.2

4. Back To Top    #4

FC is too low, that's why it's cloudy.

CYA is too high, even though it's legal (Page 44 says up to 100).

Aeration can be done by just pointing the eyeballs up so you see ripples on the surface. A bunch of swimmers splashing will do the same thing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Rich, isn't 70-80 the ideal range for CYA given the fact that he has a SWCG?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by blakej
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Rich, isn't 70-80 the ideal range for CYA given the fact that he has a SWCG?
    Oops, I missed that. Yeah, you're right.

Although I'm amazed that the code allows it to be so high on a commercial pool!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

So, the short answer is "shock the pool using the processes described here and filter until clear". Lather...rinse... repeat until you pass the OCLT
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, thanks all. I guess I am used to seeing green when I had algae in the past with the chlorine sticks.

South Carolina just added the CYA requirement last summer and 100 is the max. We got shut down one time for being over 100 which prompted us to get the TF-100 test kit plus move to salt.
    Campground pool but not heavy usage as a rule, 36,000 gallon in-ground gunnite, sand filter (new sand May, 2011), 1.5 HP pump running 24 hours from mid-May to early September, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Single main drain and Vac-alert safety device, TF-100 test kit,