Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My first rain

1. Back To Top    #1
    Austin, TX

My first rain

Had my new house/pool for 5-6 weeks now and finally got a decent rain. About 3" rain was added to the pool (just removed). Should the CL drop from 5.5 to 2.0 overnight? Little to no CC, CYA is about 45. pH was about 7.8, I just brought to down to 7.6. Added 80 oz bleach, CL back to 5.0 (how long after adding CL should you test?, I waited about 20 minutes). Will test again tonight when I get home.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed

2. Back To Top    #2

Houston, Texas

Re: My first rain

I'd rather have rain that my fill water. My fill water is high in TA and CH so rain helps keep them in check. I have a SWG so I keep a couple of large bottles of bleach on hand in case I need to increase the chlorine after a huge rain. Lots of rain over a month or two also requires me to add more borax/acid and CYA, but it's not a huge deal.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

Re: My first rain

Rain can add more than water, especially if there is wind, so a little drop isn't surprising.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat