water loss from fountains??

Jun 8, 2010
Hi all!
Hope your season is going great so far.
I, once again, am seeking advice from the best pool forum on the internets ;).

This time around I'm wondering if any of you have experience in regard to water loss from evaporation through use of a fountain/sprayer. I'm in central Georgia and my 20x4 intex is getting pretty warm so I am going to hook up a sprayer to run at night and cool things down. I don't think I should really lose any water by running in the evening or at night but thought I'd toss the question out there. I'm on a well and due to iron I opt to fill my pool from my neighbors city water line, which is fine but I hate to ask often.

Thx in advance for your thoughts!

I have been lurking for the past few days as I get ready to set up my pool. However, I actually know a little about this.

You would not be getting your pool cool if you did not have evaporation. Evaporation only happens to the water on the top, heat rises, so the water on the top is the hottest. The aeration works by encouraging the hot water to evaporate thus cooling the pool in the process.

A fountain works to cool a pool by causing evaporation. It takes energy for the water to evaporate, and that energy is removed from the pool water as heat when water evaporates.

I have some experience with such things, you can lose a lot of water (not to evaporation) if there is strong wind, the wind can make water land outside of the pool, this can happen even with the most wind-resistant type of fountain, the geyser type.

DSC00039_800.jpg

The thinner the water spray, the easier it is for wind to carry it away from the pool, overnight this can lead to a very significant loss of water, that will land out of the pool, possibly causing other damage.

Prevailing wind direction regarding fountain placing can be very important, especially if the fountain is to be mounted at the edge of the pool.

Just my 2c.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.