Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive scale build up on the metal plates...help!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Excessive scale build up on the metal plates...help!!!

I have an intex salt system. I am having to clean the metal plates every other day or the system doesn't produce chlorine at an effective rate. Any ideas on what is causing the plates to build scale so quickly and/or how I might remedy this issue?

Current water readings:
    FC: 0.2 ppm
    pH: 7.5
    Calcium Hardness: 220 ppm
    CYA: 60 ppm
    Copper: 0.3 ppm
    Iron: 0.23 ppm
    Nitrate: 13 ppm
    Salt: 3400 ppm

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Excessive scale build up on the metal plates...help!!!

Welcome to TFP!

I don't see a TA in your test results. Do you have that result?

3. Back To Top    #3

eep..sorry

TA: 65

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

/or how I might remedy this issue?
    I don't know what is causing the excessive scale but the temporary and important remedy is to get chlorine in your pool using Clorox or you will soon have a green pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to tfp, cainam

Nothing in your test results are suggesting you would have a scaling issue.

How/where did you get those test numbers? If from a pool store or strips, that could be part of the issue, since strips are often outright misleading and pool stores are notoriously inconsistent.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

The numbers came from two pool stores. I had the water checked at two different stores and they matched.

Are there any other types of metals or minerals that were not on the check list that might cause the scale to form so rapidly?

I added clorox and the TC is now at 2.1 ppm to help sustain the pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I added clorox and the TC is now at 2.1 ppm to help sustain the pool.
    Not enough Refer to the FC/CYA chart in Pool School and you will see you need to keep FC between 5-7ppm with CYA of 60.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Been doing some research and found a product called Scale Free by Natural Chemistry. Has anyone had any experience with this product? Thought I might give it a try, but I couldn't find any reviews.

9. Back To Top    #9

I live in an area with hard water. I have been using Beautec to help prevent scaling. So far, it has worked well.

http://www.mcgrayel.com/beautec.html
    23K Gunite IG Pool
    Waterway Crystal Water SVL56 Pump/1.5HP AO Smith Motor
    Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter C17502
    Aquarite 40k SWG
    Polaris 360

10. Back To Top    #10

How are you cleaning your metal plates?

ETA: Also, can you post pictures of the plates that have scale on them?

11. Back To Top    #11

I use vinegar to clean them with. I just cleaned them today. I will probably be able to post pics in a couple days.

Thanks for the tip on Beautec. I'll check it out.

12. Back To Top    #12

Here's the pics of the build up on the plates in the salt chlorinator.

[attachment=1:sx9ioo0d]salt generator.jpg[/attachment:sx9ioo0d]

[attachment=0:sx9ioo0d]salt generatora.jpg[/attachment:sx9ioo0d]
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

You have a lot of build up in there. I would soak them for a another couple hours in vinegar and attempt to slosh the vinegar around in there a few times.

If that doesn't work, then try 4 parts water, 1 part Muriatic acid. Soak for a few minutes. You should see some action on the calcium deposits.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

14. Back To Top    #14

I get them clean no problem, but the plates will be covered in build-up again in 2-3 days. I ordered the beautec to try, but it won't be here until next week. Any other ideas?

15. Back To Top    #15

What is your TA level?

How old are the test results above? What were the actual values form both stores?

The build up on your plates is suggestive of high CH, TA and ph. The value you posted above for CH is not too high so calcium buildup shouldn't be a problem unless your TA and ph are high.

Another possibility is that your readings at the pool stores are inaccurate (very common problem). I would suggest you get your own appropriate test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison I like the TF-100, best bang for buck.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Are the Intex systems self-cleaning (I've never worked with one)?

If they are you may have "one side out", meaning the cell is only conducting in one direction.

For what it's worth, the test results you've posted are in no way indicative of scaling water conditions.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

17. Back To Top    #17

TA level was at 65 from both stores that tested the water on July 9th. I have not had the water tested by a store since. The CH was 220 at one store and 210 at the other I chose to post the higher number.

The ph is still showing 7.5

18. Back To Top    #18

The intex system is suppose to be a self cleaning system. The model I have is a CS8110. It always builds scale on the left plate as shown in the pictures.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by cainam
    The intex system is suppose to be a self cleaning system. The model I have is a CS8110. It always builds scale on the left plate as shown in the pictures.
    That's what I thought, based on your pix. I think it's likely that the system is only working in one direction, that is, the self cleaning feature is defective. Whether it's the cell, or the controller, I have no clue.

Wish I could be of more help.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

20. Back To Top    #20

is there a way to make it work in the other direction?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast