Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with startup of new pool..... PICS ADDED!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help with startup of new pool..... PICS ADDED!

Poll is full and I need to start the BBB process, do I add the bleach forst to shock it and continue to do so for a few days? I have read pool school and several other searches but seems the responses are of wide range......Pool is a 15' x 52" with 5000-/+ of tap water........

These are my readings on the tap water.

FC-.5
    PH - 7.6
    TA - 120
    CYA- nada

using a Taylor complete DPD test kit........
    15'x52" Atlantic Admiral, Hayward ProFlo LX 1HP pump, Hayward 16" Sand Filter.........BBB Method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help with startup of new pool.....

Get your cya up, add chlorine to corresponding cya level and swim!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sock is in the water......be nice to jump in on Friday!
    15'x52" Atlantic Admiral, Hayward ProFlo LX 1HP pump, Hayward 16" Sand Filter.........BBB Method

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, go ahead and add some CYA. Say, enough to get you to 30 for starters. Retest and go from there.

5. Back To Top    #5

how long does it take to disolve in a sock (27 oz).?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you squeeze the sock occasionally a day and a half but you can swim with it in the pool did you get your bleach in the pool up to your target level for the amount of cya you added?
    Make sure the sock don't lay against the side or bottom of the pool
    If you added enough cya for 30 ppm just remember it takes about a week to show up on the test, I would also keep a close eye on my cl level and make sure it does not drop below your min level the reason I say that is because the sun is going to burn it off pretty quick until the cya is fully incorporated in the water.......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by fast1971chevelle
    If you squeeze the sock occasionally a day and a half but you can swim with it in the pool did you get your bleach in the pool up to your target level for the amount of cya you added?
    Make sure the sock don't lay against the side or bottom of the pool
    If you added enough cya for 30 ppm just remember it takes about a week to show up on the test, I would also keep a close eye on my cl level and make sure it does not drop below your min level the reason I say that is because the sun is going to burn it off pretty quick until the cya is fully incorporated in the water.......Mike
    I added enough stabilizer for 30ppm.......its all dissolved now and i added enough bleach to get to 6 ppm.....i appreciate the help guys......

8. Back To Top    #8

Remember to test your cl because the sun will burn it off until the cya starts to work don't let if drop below your.min cl level for your cya.....good luck
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok got the cl up to 10.........cya is dissolved and actjally clouding up on my test sample....... Looks like were getting somewhere........

10. Back To Top    #10

Excellent......carry on

11. Back To Top    #11

cya is at 30 today!.........CF is at 9..............TA is at 120.........Muratic acid needed?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by DSALRAM
    cya is at 30 today!.........CF is at 9..............TA is at 120.........Muratic acid needed?
    That depends....what is the pH? Don't be dosing the pool with acid to lower TA and accidentally lower pH too low. It will make eyes burn, erode plaster, and possibly damage your heater.

TA is the last thing you play with, when everything else is balanced and you're bored.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

ahhh.........too many lime a ritas...my PH is good at 7.6 so I aint touching that then...........TA is lowered with?

14. Back To Top    #14

ahhh.........too many lime a ritas...my PH is good at 7.6 so I aint touching that then...........TA is lowered with?
    Muriatic acid. There's a whole article in Pool School about it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for the quick response...got a small gathering this weekend for the wife and daughters birthdays......dont wanna **** my company off if you know what I mean.........looks like i am good to go with current readings. My wife keeps complaining about the water not smelling like a "pool"............gotta love BBB!

16. Back To Top    #16

with much reading and help of a few members we have been swimming as weather permits and had some friends over to help us "TEST" the pool out......

today after a lil weather the water is at:
    FC 4
    TC 4
    PH 7.3
    TA 140
    CH 120 (tested it for the heck of it)
    CYA 60

Time to make some more adjustments

DSALRAM (not pictured)

17. Back To Top    #17

Re: Need help with startup of new pool..... PICS ADDED!

pool continues to SPARKLE today.....!

18. Back To Top    #18

That's sparkly alright!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

pool continues to SPARKLE today.....!
    Woah, you aint' kiddin. That dark blue liner is nice.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks peeps! This is fun stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast