Need help with startup of new pool..... PICS ADDED!

Jun 23, 2012
Poll is full and I need to start the BBB process, do I add the bleach forst to shock it and continue to do so for a few days? I have read pool school and several other searches but seems the responses are of wide range......Pool is a 15' x 52" with 5000-/+ of tap water........

These are my readings on the tap water.

FC-.5
PH - 7.6
TA - 120
CYA- nada

using a Taylor complete DPD test kit........

Re: Need help with startup of new pool.....

Get your cya up, add chlorine to corresponding cya level and swim! :)

Yes, go ahead and add some CYA. Say, enough to get you to 30 for starters. Retest and go from there.

If you squeeze the sock occasionally a day and a half but you can swim with it in the pool did you get your bleach in the pool up to your target level for the amount of cya you added?
Make sure the sock don't lay against the side or bottom of the pool
If you added enough cya for 30 ppm just remember it takes about a week to show up on the test, I would also keep a close eye on my cl level and make sure it does not drop below your min level the reason I say that is because the sun is going to burn it off pretty quick until the cya is fully incorporated in the water.......Mike

fast1971chevelle said:
If you squeeze the sock occasionally a day and a half but you can swim with it in the pool did you get your bleach in the pool up to your target level for the amount of cya you added?
Make sure the sock don't lay against the side or bottom of the pool
If you added enough cya for 30 ppm just remember it takes about a week to show up on the test, I would also keep a close eye on my cl level and make sure it does not drop below your min level the reason I say that is because the sun is going to burn it off pretty quick until the cya is fully incorporated in the water.......Mike
I added enough stabilizer for 30ppm.......its all dissolved now and i added enough bleach to get to 6 ppm.....i appreciate the help guys......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

DSALRAM said:
cya is at 30 today!.........CF is at 9..............TA is at 120.........Muratic acid needed?
That depends....what is the pH? Don't be dosing the pool with acid to lower TA and accidentally lower pH too low. It will make eyes burn, erode plaster, and possibly damage your heater.

TA is the last thing you play with, when everything else is balanced and you're bored.

Thanks for the quick response...got a small gathering this weekend for the wife and daughters birthdays......dont wanna **** my company off if you know what I mean.........looks like i am good to go with current readings. My wife keeps complaining about the water not smelling like a "pool"............gotta love BBB!

with much reading and help of a few members we have been swimming as weather permits and had some friends over to help us "TEST" the pool out......

today after a lil weather the water is at:
FC 4
TC 4
PH 7.3
TA 140
CH 120 (tested it for the heck of it)
CYA 60

Time to make some more adjustments

DSALRAM (not pictured) :whoot:

imagejpeg_2_4-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.