Vacation question

firepilot

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 26, 2011
Lewiston Idaho
Hey All,

I have searched through the site regarding vacation scenarios and picked up some good information. Here is my situation.

We have been running the pool this season using the BBB method and it rocks! Primary care giver is my 11 year old son. My wife helps out with Muratic Acid if needed. I am working out of town for another few weeks and they are taking off for about 9 days.

The pool is on a timer with two 6 hour run sessions per day. It has a solar cover as well.

Current Levels are:
FC 5
PH 7.5
CH 270
TA 120
CYA 65

What would be a good way to keep the pool going while they are gone. I might get home around day 7 but not sure. I was thinking of having them take the pool to shock level and then put 3 of the 3inch Pucks we still have in the skimmer.

I could maybe have someone stop by and throw some bleach in and check the water level at the halfway point.

The good thing is I know we can snap it back into shape pretty easy. Current maint on a daily basis is about 40-60 ounces of Clorox.

Thanks for the input.

Phil

best if someone can come by and add bleach for you as few times ... just target up toward shock level each time and maybe only come every 3/4 days. Do you also have as cover as that can protect the FC some too?

Do NOT put the picks in the skimmer unless you leave the pump on at all times. Best not to use them at all since your CYA is pretty high already.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thanks,

Ok I do have a pool cover on it. Just out of curiosity how much can 3 pucks raise the CYA level? I understand not putting them in the skimmer. Why not somewhere else?

Just looking for options in case I can't get someone to come by. My wife hates to bother people, and I am out fighting wildfires and am gone.

I could resort to calling the pool guy but don't want to.

Thanks

Phil

Our recommended CYA level is 30-50ppm. You are at 65ppm. Pucks will add more CYA. That is why I would recommend against them, but if it is the only option then you do what you have to.

You can use the poolcalculator to determine how much FC and CYA each pick will add using the bottom part of the page. Make sure the pool size is set at the top. Each puck is 7 or 8oz of trichlor.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Hey All,

Just a quick update on the vacation trip. My family left the house on the 13th. Before they left they rested balanced the pool and bumped the chlorine levels to Shock Level.

THe cover was put on and they took off until today. I had my son run a full set of tests and they had to add 41oz of bleach. So we learned something, I followed the advice here and didn't add any pucks. When I get home someday I'll try and get the cya down some more but right now it is pretty manageable. We never add more than 30-50 oz of bleach on any given day. I can live with that.

Just thought a follow up might help folks searching this down the road.

Phil

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.