Intermittent Code 92 (High Salt) on Intex SWG but salt is OK

jlbtjb

Jun 18, 2012
On Saturday (7/7), I ran my Intex Krystal Clear SWG (CS8111) for about 4 hours, then my kids played in the pool for several hours. After my kids finished playing, I turned the SWG back on that night for a couple of hours. Right after turning the unit on, it started flashing code 92 (high salt). We have only had our pool for a little over 3 weeks and have not added any salt since setup. On Friday (7/6) our local pool store tested the salt level at 3000 ppm which is optimum for our pool. I tested the salt level on Sunday using test strips and got a reading of about 3100 ppm. On Sunday afternoon, I turned the unit back on and ran the SWG for about 4 hours and it worked perfectly. Today (7/9) I turned the unit on and ran the SWG for 4 hours and it worked perfectly. My kids played in the pool and then I turned the unit back on tonight to run the SWG for a couple of hours. Again, it immediately gave a code 92 error.

I am not sure what is happening. It was working perfectly until I unplugged the copper bars on Saturday morning. I didn't want the unit to continue generating copper because we are already at 0.3 ppm, and it continues to rise. Does anyone know if unplugging the copper bars could cause this intermittent code 92? I am sure that the salt level is not really too high since it works perfectly sometimes. Also, if the chlorine level is already high enough and you try to run the SWG, could that cause the unit to mistakenly give a code 92 error? I am concerned because we would like to go on vacation, and I have no idea if this error will occur while we are gone and what will happen to our filter pump / SWG combo unit if it does. I appreciate any ideas as to what may be going on.

Re: Intermittent Code 92 (High Salt) on Intex SWG but salt i

I am not sure why the 92 keep coming up for you.

I can say that neither unplugging the copper bars or high chlorine levels should be causing the problem.

When it happens if you turn the swg off and wait a few seconds, then turn it back on, do you still get the 92 error?

If yes, then next time it happens, if you have the room try and fill up the pool some more with fresh water then start the swg again and see if the 92 shows up. This may or may not diagnose the problem since it seem somewhat unpredictable.

Bottom line, if you can dilute your salt level a little to keep the swg happy, do it.

Hmm, I wonder if the salt level is really higher than the strips show but only after the kids mix it up well. Maybe try testing it right after the kids get out? I don't know if the salt can settle but just a thought. I've never had high salt errors, only low salt and the unit was correct.

linen, when I turn off the SWG and wait a few minutes and turn it back on I still get the 92 error. Actually today, the high salt error happened after a heavy rain which added a lot of fresh water to the pool. I will try adding some more fresh water tomorrow if I can. MikeInNH, I will try to test the salt level after the kids get out of the pool tomorrow. Up until a few days ago everything seemed to be working fine. I have actually added fresh water to the pool a couple of times since we put it up, and the salt level should be lower than when we first started using the SWG. I am going to call Intex tomorrow to see if they have any ideas. If the error keeps happening, I am going to plug the copper bars back in just to see if that is affecting anything - we never had any problems with the unit until we unplugged the copper bars. I hope we can get this figured out before we go on vacation because the chlorine production shuts off whenever this error occurs, and I don't want to come back home to a green pool. I also don't know what will happen to the pump/SWG if the error occurs and no one is here to shut the unit off and clear the error. Thanks for your help.

After posting last night I went outside to turn off the filter pump and noticed that there was a low flow alert. I replaced the filter this morning and turned the SWG back on, and it worked just fine. Do you think that low water flow could somehow cause the SWG to detect high salt concentration even when the salt level is OK?

Maybe, time will tell I guess. My unit will restart itself after an error like low flow clears assuming its still during the time it's scheduled to run. If your cya is low enough to take a bit of a hike, I would go with pucks for your vacation to be safe.

I to am going thru this false high salt code trouble. unit is brand new and works when it wants to. pool is full of algae now since it wont turn on with timer. going to submit something to intex and see if I can get a new set of plates or new unit. we are on our 3rd generator. last one worked for a year then nothing the second season of startup (power supply died). good product when it works, a real PITA when it doesn't.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm on my second Intex Saltwater Generator in just 2 weeks - the first one registered the high salt warning but salt tests almost perfect. Intex rep said the titanium cell was bad and to return it to Amazon. Amazon sent another and it worked for 24 hours before high salt warning started. Once again, Intex says it's a bad titanium plate and they're sending a new one. How many of these can be bad, I wonder.

I was having the same issue. I discovered when I cleaned the electrolytic cell last, one of the 3 metal plates had shifted and was shorting out against another plate. Once I separated them and they were no longer shorting out the system worked fine. I would also imagine that when the copper electrode breaks down it's possible that a piece of copper could get stuck between plates and cause a short as well. If you have a multimeter you can test if the plates are shorted. They should not be making any contact with each other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.