27' ABG Pool Install

Howdy To All!!

Well, I've been working on the installation of an above ground pool. I have the base all ready, level, and the blocks all cut in and level. I've spent more time than needed prepping this base and I hope that the extra time will pay off in the long run. The soil base is undisturbed and is a clay mix so it's very hard to say the least. This is my first do-it-yourself install of a pool but seems to be going well so far. I have a couple of questions and I'm looking for some advice from the experts here.

1.) I have a heavy liner material used in the oil field industry I picked up from my brother for free. This liner is in excess of 30mils. I was going to lay the liner material down first, lay the frame in place, and than put sand on the liner material. Is this the correct order to proceed in? If so I will install the heavy liner material tomorrow night.

2.) I was going to lay some sort of pesticide down for ants before putting the liner barrier material down. What is the best to use for this type of pool?

Since everyone likes a picture I will post the prepped site. I'm open to criticism as it generally extends to learning. Thanks for the help!!

POOLBASE.jpg

Looks like you have done a great job!

That really looks clean and neat.

Why not use foam instead of sand?

After all that work why use something that could wash out or leave footprints or dents that could create a problem later on?

Besides you already have your pavers dug in and nice and level with the ground, adding sand will cause the center to be higher, unless you cover the pavers with it also, in which case your supports will end up sinking thru the sand to the pavers anyway, they may sink a bit in the foam too, but not as much as the sand I would think.

Welcome to tfp, Bow_Extreme :wave:

Very nice job on the sit :cheers:

Put the liner down before the sand...though I am with SamSab on the foam instead of sand...it is what I did, but sand works as well.

Most people put down a herbicide that will kill nutgrass...I am not sure about insecticides.

Good looking site, the extra time spent levelling the site is absolutely time well spent!

People generally put 1.5" to 2" standard rigid external insulation board (the pink stuff), the seams have to be well taped so water dosn't push them apart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.