Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 27' ABG Pool Install

1. Back To Top    #1

27' ABG Pool Install

Howdy To All!!

Well, I've been working on the installation of an above ground pool. I have the base all ready, level, and the blocks all cut in and level. I've spent more time than needed prepping this base and I hope that the extra time will pay off in the long run. The soil base is undisturbed and is a clay mix so it's very hard to say the least. This is my first do-it-yourself install of a pool but seems to be going well so far. I have a couple of questions and I'm looking for some advice from the experts here.

1.) I have a heavy liner material used in the oil field industry I picked up from my brother for free. This liner is in excess of 30mils. I was going to lay the liner material down first, lay the frame in place, and than put sand on the liner material. Is this the correct order to proceed in? If so I will install the heavy liner material tomorrow night.

2.) I was going to lay some sort of pesticide down for ants before putting the liner barrier material down. What is the best to use for this type of pool?

Since everyone likes a picture I will post the prepped site. I'm open to criticism as it generally extends to learning. Thanks for the help!!

In Build Phase:
    27' x 52" Above Ground Pool
    Pentair Dynamo 3/4hp 2-Speed Pump
    Pool Pilot Digital Nano RC-35 Cell SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 27' ABG Pool Install

Someone on another post mentioned non-petroleum based insecticide so there is no chemical reaction to the vinyl/plastic. They also suggested the same thing with a weed killer. Hope this helps.
    blondemarcello
    18x33 16,700 gallon AG
    Sand, TFP Test, Gas heater
    Minnesota

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like you have done a great job!

That really looks clean and neat.

Why not use foam instead of sand?

After all that work why use something that could wash out or leave footprints or dents that could create a problem later on?

Besides you already have your pavers dug in and nice and level with the ground, adding sand will cause the center to be higher, unless you cover the pavers with it also, in which case your supports will end up sinking thru the sand to the pavers anyway, they may sink a bit in the foam too, but not as much as the sand I would think.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, Bow_Extreme

Very nice job on the sit

Put the liner down before the sand...though I am with SamSab on the foam instead of sand...it is what I did, but sand works as well.

Most people put down a herbicide that will kill nutgrass...I am not sure about insecticides.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Most people put down a herbicide that will kill nutgrass...I am not sure about insecticides.
    Linen, I'm pretty sure that insecicide will not kill nutgrass!

just kidding.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, I already took care of the weed issue with roundup. What type of foam and how thick should the foam be?
    In Build Phase:

8. Back To Top    #8

Good looking site, the extra time spent levelling the site is absolutely time well spent!

People generally put 1.5" to 2" standard rigid external insulation board (the pink stuff), the seams have to be well taped so water dosn't push them apart.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    Good looking site, the extra time spent levelling the site is absolutely time well spent!

People generally put 1.5" to 2" standard rigid external insulation board (the pink stuff), the seams have to be well taped so water dosn't push them apart.

Thanks for the info!!
    In Build Phase:

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Taterfink
    Linen, I'm pretty sure that insecicide will not kill nutgrass!

just kidding.

I have used gorilla tape brand of duct tape to tape the polystyrene and it works really well.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.