Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair IC40

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair IC40

I replaced my Pentair IC40 SWG just over a year ago and I've had another failure. It's leaking from all around the seams. Has anyone had similar failures. Both of SWG failed in the exact same way.
    20k gal pool/spa, marc, 2 hp pentair whisperflo, Pentair clean & clear filter, Raypack Reheem 266 heater. Taylor K2005 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair IC40

Can you post a picture of it?

Is the piping lined up correctly so it's not torqing it when it's installed?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not leaking from the pipes. It leaking from the chassis of the intellichlor. I'm wondering if there is too much pressure in my plumbing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20k gal pool/spa, marc, 2 hp pentair whisperflo, Pentair clean & clear filter, Raypack Reheem 266 heater. Taylor K2005 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool equipment is on the side of my house so it's a little distance from the main drain. I wouldn't say an excessive distance(30ft). My pool filter PSI reads between 24psi to 32psi depending on which zone the paramount 6 port valve is running. I have 16 pop up in my paramount system. 1 zone in the deep end which is on a step seat has only 1 pop up and that's when my filter pressure is at its highest (32psi).

5. Back To Top    #5

The reason I asked about alignment is because if the piping is out of alignment it can apply torque to the unit causing it to deform and leak around the seals internally. It doesn't look like yours is too bad out of alignment but it's hard to tell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The reason I asked about alignment is because if the piping is out of alignment it can apply torque to the unit causing it to deform and leak around the seals internally. It doesn't look like yours is too bad out of alignment but it's hard to tell.

Are you referring to the connection that I have circled in the photo? I believe its pretty straight. I believe you mean the connection being on a slight angle like the line I drew may cause the type of failure I had.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Correct. Any out of alignment could potentially cause that type failure. However it is unlikely.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Just to add a "data point" to this wonderful TFP knowledge base: I also have a cracked and leaking IC40 case AND my piping was misaligned at installation. Not a terrible hit since it is now 6 1/2 years old and has generated for about 9,500 hours. But still a shame since it is still generating like a champ. I used Epoxy putty and that kept it going for about 6 months. I now will correct the problem and get a new IC40.
    Arizona. 22K Gal, IG, rectangular, plaster. SWCG IntelliChlor IC40. Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP 2 speed
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filters. in-floor. Pool completed April, 2008. K-2006.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Is that an acid pump right before your IC40?
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

I had a brand new IC-20 leak in the factory seam where the unit is put together. Right where the flow meter screws into the unit. I was replaced at no charge and they didn't even want the bad unit back. Now I wish I could figure out how to run dual chlorinators? I know I can make the leak stop.
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

I have seen this happen with the Paamount floor system. The floor jets build too much back pressure and split the display from the housing. I would recommend using a spacer cell when you want to clean and then put the cell in with the system on pause the rest of the time.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics