"ULTRA' Filter Sand

Jun 25, 2012
Got in our new INtex 1600 pump/filter. Husband purchased some type of Ultra sand which states on the box that instead of the required 50#s, you only need 25#. Has anyone else used this product/amount?

Sounds like another product called zeobrite that has had very mixed reviews. I would take it back if you can. Sand has worked just fine for millions of years and it will continue to do so. :lol:

Go ahead and use it. I do. But the only reason I bought it is because I couldn't find any pool filter sand. The zeo works great but so does sand. If you ever have to replace it just get the regular pool filter sand. That's my intention. There have been a lot of bad reviews on zeo. I don't see any added benefits. Of the 5 pools I know of with sand filters, mine is the only one with zeo. Their pools are just as clear as mine. I've used the zeo for a year now. No problems yet. But I do intend to replace it in the next couple of years with regular filter sand.

GC

You don't need to backwash every day unless you know it needs backwashing. Next time you backwash, when you turn it back to filter, check the pressure gauge and get an accurate reading when the filter is clean. After that, keep checking your gauge. When the pressure goes up about 25%, backwash. For example, if your clean pressure reading is 8 psi, when the pressure goes up to about 10 psi, it's time to backwash. You should not have to backwash daily unless there's something going on in your pool - such as the algae bloom you have going on now. After you get that cleared up, you can go days without backwashing.

GC

With the intex 1600 I used last year I could tell by the flow dropping off that I needed to backwash before the gauge change more than 2 psi. When I installed it the pool was on the verge of a bad algae outbreak and I had a lot of road dust silt built up so I was backwashing often. Usually for only a couple of minutes and then flow and pressure would return to normal. After I got all the crud filtered out, over about a weeks time, I only had to backwash once more before we took the pool down in the fall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.